Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 13th May 2004, 18:21   #1
sharingsunshine

What Can I Use to Paint Bird Bath That's Non-Toxic

I have a concrete bird bath and I want to paint it since it is so hard to keep clean with the nitty gritty texture of concrete. Is there a paint that is non-toxic to birds and critters that may also drink from it?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Donna

Old Thursday 13th May 2004, 23:06   #2
Charles Harper
Régisseur

Nobody answering, Donna? Well, welcome to Birdforum, at least. I think raw concrete is a bit toxic too. All I could suggest is a good-quality exterior latex, if they make one for concrete-- at least it's water-based.

Last edited by Charles Harper : Thursday 13th May 2004 at 23:18.
BF Supporter 2004
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Friday 14th May 2004, 00:39   #3
KCFoggin
Super Moderator

Hi Donna and a very warm welcome to Bird Forum from me and the entire staff here as well.

My neighbor just painted his and I just called him to ask him what he used and he confirmed Charles' suggestion. He did say he used a very high quality paint though. Don't know that it makes that much difference but he felt it would be better and longer lasting.

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Friday 14th May 2004, 02:41   #4
Katy Penland

Welcome, Donna! I wonder if swimming pool paint wouldn't be okay? All kinds of critters and birds use backyard pools for bathing and drinking. Perhaps you could contact someone at Cornell's Lab of Ornithology and ask them? I've always had really friendly people responding to my questions over the years. Here's their general email address. Good luck! And please let us know what you find out, would you? I'd love to know what they suggest.

[email protected]
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2010
Old Friday 14th May 2004, 07:32   #5
John P
Usually on a different wavelength

Any sort of paint intended for exterior masonry should be suitable..............but why does it have to be clean and shiny anyway........in nature birds drink and bathe in muddy puddles or in fact anywhere that water collects.
Old Friday 14th May 2004, 09:18   #6
Richard K-M

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharingsunshine
I have a concrete bird bath and I want to paint it since it is so hard to keep clean with the nitty gritty texture of concrete. Is there a paint that is non-toxic to birds and critters that may also drink from it?

Donna
Try using a sealant like "Unibond". Once this has dried thoroughly there should be no problems. You could always give it a good scrub with clean water before use to make sure that there are no loose bits lying around that the birds could ingest.

Richard
Old Friday 14th May 2004, 18:52   #7
Curly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharingsunshine

Donna
The safest product would that used to paint fish ponds, as concrete itself is toxic, I can't remember the name; and it's not cheap, any good aquatic centre should have it in stock.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: