Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 18th April 2010, 17:11   #1
Kevin Groocock
Parameduck

Carrying a camera on a cycle

Just wondering if anyone can make any suggestions for the safe carrying of an assembled Canon40D and 100-400 lens on a bicycle? I have a large pannier and have considered filling it with foam but if you know of anything better, I would love to hear

Many thanks
Old Sunday 18th April 2010, 17:40   #2
tjsimonsen

My 40D with the 100-400 mounted on fits snugly in a Loewpro 200 microTrekker, which is quite comfortable on a bike.

thomas
Old Sunday 18th April 2010, 20:11   #3
paul goode

In a proper rucksack on your back is the only way I can suggest. Attaching the camera holder directly to the bike is, I feel, a recipe for disaster
BF Supporter 2007 2008
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Monday 19th April 2010, 18:44   #4
Kevin Groocock
Parameduck

Thanks both Now looking at backpacks - I have a Tamrac Expedition 7 but I feel this is too bulky for cycling

Looking around, Warehouse Express have the Lowepro Flipside 200 at half price, so have ordered one . The internal sizes seem just about right.

Last edited by Kevin Groocock : Tuesday 20th April 2010 at 09:14.
Old Tuesday 20th April 2010, 20:32   #5
citrinella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
Just wondering if anyone can make any suggestions for the safe carrying of an assembled Canon40D and 100-400 lens on a bicycle? I have a large pannier and have considered filling it with foam but if you know of anything better, I would love to hear

Many thanks
Trouble with rucksacks are the camera is not ready for action. I carry assembled lens and camera stuck in the lens case as a holster. If action is a real possibility I will have the hood on and cap off. I have put a spare wide strap on the case. This goes round my neck, behind one shoulder. The camera strap goes round my neck. That gives double security, but pretty much ready for action - lift the camera out of the holster, press the shutter button and it is ready.

Mike.
Old Wednesday 21st April 2010, 06:46   #6
Kevin Groocock
Parameduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrinella View Post
Trouble with rucksacks are the camera is not ready for action. I carry assembled lens and camera stuck in the lens case as a holster. If action is a real possibility I will have the hood on and cap off. I have put a spare wide strap on the case. This goes round my neck, behind one shoulder. The camera strap goes round my neck. That gives double security, but pretty much ready for action - lift the camera out of the holster, press the shutter button and it is ready.

Mike.
Cheers, Mike. Having the camera ready for action is an issue and your idea sounds good. I will give both a try.
Old Thursday 22nd April 2010, 05:12   #7
Robin Harrison

Two suggestions. I use both for Canon EOS 7d +100-400mm and they work very well. I haven't used them yet on a bike (too cold here still) but will.

Cotton Carrier. I love,love,love this. Saves my wrists from pain.Very secure with the strap around the front. Camera available immediately for action.
http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/product_p/600ccv.htm

Think Tank Digital Holster30 with the harness. I keep my set up permenantly in this case with the harness attached. You wear the camera on your front ie a front pack not a back pack ! ( It comes with a rain shield which I took off to accomodate the camera). It also works fine with a 1.4x converter attached.
Camera available almost immediatley for action.
Hope this helps
Regs
robin
Old Thursday 22nd April 2010, 05:24   #8
Kevin Groocock
Parameduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Harrison View Post
Two suggestions. I use both for Canon EOS 7d +100-400mm and they work very well. I haven't used them yet on a bike (too cold here still) but will.

Cotton Carrier. I love,love,love this. Saves my wrists from pain.Very secure with the strap around the front. Camera available immediately for action.
http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/product_p/600ccv.htm

Think Tank Digital Holster30 with the harness. I keep my set up permenantly in this case with the harness attached. You wear the camera on your front ie a front pack not a back pack ! ( It comes with a rain shield which I took off to accomodate the camera). It also works fine with a 1.4x converter attached.
Camera available almost immediatley for action.
Hope this helps
Regs
robin

Many thanks, Robin Will have a look later as just off to work.
Old Tuesday 27th April 2010, 19:39   #9
Yilane

I do not know about the size of the Canon 100-400 lens but you may also check the Kata Torso Packs on http://www.kata-bags.com/
(DT-213, T-214 or T-216).

Best regards: George
Old Monday 3rd May 2010, 06:48   #10
Kevin Groocock
Parameduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yilane View Post
I do not know about the size of the Canon 100-400 lens but you may also check the Kata Torso Packs on http://www.kata-bags.com/
(DT-213, T-214 or T-216).

Best regards: George

Many thanks, George. I think most are too small to hold camera with lens attached and ready for use. Still searching through, though!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: