• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Song sparrow in Switzerland ! (1 Viewer)

saviornitho

Jérémy Savioz
Hello

This email is not a hoax ! I saw this bird on 1st May 2010, in the south of Switzerland. He looked like a sparrow I had seen in Canada but I told myself that it wasn't possible at all. In the end, I identified it as a young Reed bunting...
I put all the same these pictures on a forum (www.ornithomedia.com) and people told me it might be a song bunting. Could you please confirm ????
Thanks

Attachments

• oiseaumystère.jpg
    oiseaumystère.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 578
  • oiseaumystère1.jpg
    oiseaumystère1.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 660
other pictures

Attachments

• bruant.jpg
    bruant.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 295
  • bruant1.jpg
    bruant1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 675
  • bruant3.jpg
    bruant3.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 347
  • bruant2.jpg
    bruant2.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 231
  • bruant4.jpg
    bruant4.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 350
If I saw that here in Massachusetts it would be a Song Sparrow. I don't know if you may have a close candidate to that over there.

Well certainly looks like a Song Sparrow, A bet a LOT of Swiss birders will be very interested in that as is most likely a first for the country!!

Sean Minns

Well done on capturing this wonderful find and a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

This IS a Song Sparrow.

And a perfect example of such! Everything about it is, without question, as far as I can see, a Song Sparrow!

An amazing find!

Welcome to BF in such a spectacular way!

I wonder what the possibility is that this bird was not human assisted. Song Sparrows are not the strongest flyers. Are there any other records of North American sparrows in France, Germany, Switzerland, or Italy?

Thank you !
There is 8 records in Great Britain, one in Norway, one in Nederland and one in Belgium. No records in France, Germany or Italy !!!!

How could this bird be there with humain assistance ? He was in the middle of Europ, in the Alps !! Is this bird common in aviaries ?

How could this bird be there with humain assistance ? He was in the middle of Europ, in the Alps !! Is this bird common in aviaries ?

As with all European records of passerines, but particularly sparrows, there exists chance of the Trans-Atlantic part being ship-assisted, i.e. onboard a ship. This however should not detract from an excellent record.

Thanks for the information. I have been there (and Leukerfeld and Feschelbach) many times. Has anyone been back to check? (I will be there in June leading a trip for Limosa Holidays).

Brian S

As with all European records of passerines, but particularly sparrows, there exists chance of the Trans-Atlantic part being ship-assisted, i.e. onboard a ship. This however should not detract from an excellent record.

I recall hearing of a round Switzerland yacht race once. How many ports does the country actually have??

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back