Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 12th May 2010, 14:58   #1
gambirder
Kev Roy

Alternatives to Tilley?

I need a hat to wear practically every day in the tropics. I've bought three Tilley T3s in the past and found them pretty good. They give good protection from the sun and don't go as limp as a soggy KFC chip in the rain. Despite the "lifetime guarantee" however, after two years exposed to the African sun and great white toubab sweat they fall apart. Plus they are very expensive.

So why not just claim the Tilley lifetime replacement thingy? Frankly I've never tried it. The small print says stuff about washing out the sweat band and all that which I can't hand on heart say I've done every time it's had heavy wear...

So . . . does anyone have experience of an alternative to Tilleys they can recommend? Needs to
  • offer good sun protection
  • retain its shape when wet
  • be hard wearing

PS not this or this or this . . .

Last edited by gambirder : Wednesday 12th May 2010 at 15:01.
Old Wednesday 12th May 2010, 16:19   #2
matt green
Mr Wonderful

How about a nice tweed flatcap?

Quite fancy having one myself, for the youthfull aristo/country type folk look!!

...or maybe not!!

Matt
BF Supporter 2007
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Wednesday 19th May 2010, 10:32   #3
gambirder
Kev Roy

Red face

Oh come on all ye hat-wearers . . . surely someone has a more considered opinion than that Matt's hat tat???
Old Wednesday 19th May 2010, 10:45   #4
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Tilley makes the highest quality hats of their type that I'm aware of. So I'm not aware of anything more durable, let alone more durable and less expensive. If the T3 isn't doing it for you, I'd suggest trying another style. E.g. one of their hemp hats--though I've no personal experience with them. You might also call Tilley and see if there's anything they'd recommend.

Best,
Jim
BF Supporter 2013
Old Wednesday 19th May 2010, 17:17   #5
captaincarot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambirder View Post
Oh come on all ye hat-wearers . . . surely someone has a more considered opinion than that Matt's hat tat???
i'd suggest going on fishing magic and asking ron clay about his african bush hats, he lived in south africa for years and swears by the things, including for use in australia also.

though knowing him they will probably turn out to cost a fortune
Old Thursday 20th May 2010, 13:12   #6
number6

Hat

Check out 'Kakadu' or 'Akubra', both are expensive , however quality costs .
Cheers ,

Paul.
Old Thursday 20th May 2010, 15:02   #7
mandy@Tilley

Re: Tilley Hats and Guaranteed Replacement Hats

Hi Gambirder!

Just to let you know that if you sent us a worn out Tilley Hat (worn out being frayed, torn etc.) we will send you a brand new one - for each of your worn out ones if you still have them all. You can also change Hats with a Guaranteed Replacement to try another material (you may want to try the LTB series) - we just ask you to pay the difference between the old style and new one - if there is a difference. Please send in worn out Hats with $20.00 CAD to cover shipping costs and we will replace all your Hats. The Lifetime Guarantee is on all Hats - all the time - so we'll replace the replacements when they wear out and those replacements when they wear out.....you get the idea!

If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me (Website Coordinator) at mandyk@tilley.com or customer service International at tilley@tilley.com.
Old Thursday 20th May 2010, 17:05   #8
Chris Galvin

Now there is an offer for you Clive.
Old Thursday 20th May 2010, 17:57   #9
gambirder
Kev Roy

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy@Tilley View Post
Hi Gambirder!

Just to let you know that if you sent us a worn out Tilley Hat (worn out being frayed, torn etc.) we will send you a brand new one - for each of your worn out ones if you still have them all. You can also change Hats with a Guaranteed Replacement to try another material (you may want to try the LTB series) - we just ask you to pay the difference between the old style and new one - if there is a difference. Please send in worn out Hats with $20.00 CAD to cover shipping costs and we will replace all your Hats. The Lifetime Guarantee is on all Hats - all the time - so we'll replace the replacements when they wear out and those replacements when they wear out.....you get the idea!

If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me (Website Coordinator) at mandyk@tilley.com or customer service International at tilley@tilley.com.
Fantastic! I'll take you up on that. Will email you separately as suggested. Many thanks!

From One Happy Customer
Old Thursday 20th May 2010, 18:30   #10
Peter C.
...just zis guy, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambirder View Post
Fantastic! I'll take you up on that. Will email you separately as suggested. Many thanks!

From One Happy Customer
Yes, go for it. I've been wearing Tilleys since the late Pleistocene or so, and I've never had to take them up on it (I've never had one wear out), but I know their service reputation to be very good.

(I've lost a couple, but that's different).
BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013
Old Thursday 20th May 2010, 18:37   #11
Chris Galvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
Yes, go for it. I've been wearing Tilleys since the late Pleistocene or so, and I've never had to take them up on it (I've never had one wear out), but I know their service reputation to be very good.

(I've lost a couple, but that's different).
I've never fed one to an elephant but I have had one destroyed by my dog
Old Saturday 29th May 2010, 12:59   #12
horukuru
Here I Come !

Hehehe my main hat for the tropics is the Outdoor Research Sombrero :)

Never failed me in rain and shine while birding :o
Old Sunday 30th May 2010, 11:53   #13
hollis_f

Really didn't like my Tilley. I wear Barmah hats, I have a couple of leather ones for really wet days and, my favourite, is the drover cooler for sunny days. Easily the best hat I've ever had for sun protection and can handle a reasonable amount of rain as well.

Photography Gear - Website
BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010
Old Monday 31st May 2010, 07:55   #14
RJM
Don't Worry, Be Happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horukuru View Post
Hehehe my main hat for the tropics is the Outdoor Research Sombrero :)

Never failed me in rain and shine while birding :o
I use the Outdoor Research Sombriolet Sun Hat and am quite pleased. They have an Infinite Guarantee too, whatever that means. I considered the Tilley's but they cost 2x more.
Old Wednesday 7th July 2010, 22:34   #15
gambirder
Kev Roy

Just to say my replacement Tilley arrived as promised. I went for an LTM5. It's not cotton duck like my old T3s but "Tilley Nylamtium®, a strong water-and-mildew resistant form of nylon". The suggestion from the good folks at Tilley is that this might stand up better to the rigours of everyday use in the tropics.

First impressions are that it's comfy, and the brim has a more stylish curve than the T3s. I aim to write a review after it's been worn in a bit. In the meantime many thanks to mandy@tilley (post #7) for pointing me in the right direction.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: