Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 23rd May 2010, 16:43   #26
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Ryder - you need to free up some space in your pm box.

Steve
Old Sunday 23rd May 2010, 16:49   #27
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpman View Post
Little miffed as to why there has been little feedback from the people who seen the bird at the site.

Karpman
Two possible reasons - maybe not many of them look at BF, and maybe they, like me, got such poor views that they can't offer much.
There has been a bit of email discussion and I have forwarded you some messages and photos.

Steve
Old Sunday 23rd May 2010, 21:17   #28
karpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
Two possible reasons - maybe not many of them look at BF, and maybe they, like me, got such poor views that they can't offer much.
There has been a bit of email discussion and I have forwarded you some messages and photos.

Steve
Thanks Steve, Very much appreciated being a fairly new birder this bird has been a real pain.

Freed up some space revived email with thanks.
Have a good holiday
Kindest of regards

Karpman

Avid Birder With A Orible Lurcher
Old Sunday 27th June 2010, 18:09   #29
AlbertZijlstra

The posture is that of a grey heron and the colouring closest to a 1st year juvenile, although obviously still far too dark. The legs seem a bit darker than normal and (to me at least) rather short. Has anymore been seen of this bird over the past month? The records described here suggest an elusive bird who likes to hide. The note about the bird pointing its bill upwars also indicates a wary animal: this is typical bittern behaviour, trying to disappear in the reeds.

The notes about a (different) dark heron in the area last year suggest this bird could be its offspring. If so, a hybrid is possible, as an abnormal animal may not do well in competing for mates and so plausibly has a higher chance of hybridizing. Bittern comes to mind. There is a story about an imported group of dark-morph reed egrets being released n Germany a long time ago, and this could play a role in dark hybrids.
Old Sunday 27th June 2010, 19:23   #30
karpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertZijlstra View Post
The posture is that of a grey heron and the colouring closest to a 1st year juvenile, although obviously still far too dark. The legs seem a bit darker than normal and (to me at least) rather short. Has anymore been seen of this bird over the past month? The records described here suggest an elusive bird who likes to hide. The note about the bird pointing its bill upwars also indicates a wary animal: this is typical bittern behaviour, trying to disappear in the reeds.

The notes about a (different) dark heron in the area last year suggest this bird could be its offspring. If so, a hybrid is possible, as an abnormal animal may not do well in competing for mates and so plausibly has a higher chance of hybridizing. Bittern comes to mind. There is a story about an imported group of dark-morph reed egrets being released n Germany a long time ago, and this could play a role in dark hybrids.
Hi thanks for you reply!

This bird still seems to have some people torn, It hung around for a couple of weeks think it is maybe gone now. There are some photos and video of the bird out there but seems it will forever just be labeled a Ganky grey heron.

To me the bird is was and still is plain bizarre, I have seen the "good" photos and the video, Would love to nail this for sure but hey not going to lose anymore sleep over it!

Karpman

Avid Birder With A Orible Lurcher
Old Thursday 9th September 2010, 02:07   #31
stevethehydra

Maybe too obvious, but could Purple x Grey hybrid be a possibility?

This Purple's bill isn't far off: http://www.sundancevillas.co.uk/imag...le-Heron-1.jpg
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: