Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average.
Old Sunday 23rd May 2004, 20:32   #1
Bluetail
Senior Moment

Rubber Allergy

Anyone else have problems with rubber eyepieces irritating their eyes? What's the solution?
Sorrow's best friend and Mirth's professed foe
The chief discourser that delights sad Care.
O come, poor owl, and tell thy woes to me.
Which having heard, I'll do the like for thee.

(Anon c.1607)
BF Supporter 2004
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Sunday 23rd May 2004, 20:41   #2
helenol

It was the subject that caught my eye. Sorry.
Mods, delete if you so wish....
Old Sunday 23rd May 2004, 20:45   #3
Andrew
wibble wibble

Ah, if your bins are waterproof then nip into a coarse fishing tackle shop (a good one which is a problem in Plymouth as they are all sea fishing shops really) and ask for some 'shrink type pole sleeves'. These are tubes of black plastic that come in various sizes and shrink when held over a steaming kettle (why you need waterproof bins) and they will close up as much as they can over the eyepieces. You then trim to clear the actual eyepiece glass for viewing. Worth a try. They were intended to protect pole sections from wear and tear as well as repair broken sections but I used them for other things too.
Old Sunday 23rd May 2004, 22:20   #4
Jane Turner

Zeiss sell hard replacements for the rubber ones..... not sure about other manufacturers

Last Cheshire Caspian Tern (305) last Red Rocks Green-winged Teal (254), last Garden Green-winged Teal (204), last Self-found Great White Egret (293) Home webcam with sound- if its on there will be a message LIVE STREAMING WEBCAM of Sea/Beach
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Sunday 23rd May 2004, 22:26   #5
Bluetail
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenol
It was the subject that caught my eye. Sorry.
Mods, delete if you so wish....
Funnily enough I seem to be OK with lycra...

(Anon c.1607)
BF Supporter 2004
Old Monday 24th May 2004, 08:36   #6
Jane Turner

*splutter*

You don't want to see the images that conjoured up.... I was goind to say stick with leather!

Last Cheshire Caspian Tern (305) last Red Rocks Green-winged Teal (254), last Garden Green-winged Teal (204), last Self-found Great White Egret (293) Home webcam with sound- if its on there will be a message LIVE STREAMING WEBCAM of Sea/Beach
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Monday 24th May 2004, 13:01   #7
leetar

Jason - On the pair of Nikons I have there is a small casing ring around the eye cup that can be very irritating. It might be that and not an allergy.
Lee
Old Monday 24th May 2004, 22:52   #8
Bluetail
Senior Moment

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I think I'll ask Warehouse Express whether they've any hard replacements or other ideas and then resort to the shrink-wrap method if need be (thanks for that tip, Andrew).

Leetar, what exactly is the casing ring you mention? I didn't make it clear, but I was actually thinking more of my scope when I asked the question. I've always been apt to get a mild irritation occasionally from my old Leitz bins - not enough to worry about - but I'm getting it a lot with my new scope. I was using it almost constantly on Saturday morning and my eye was still itching in the evening - even my wife remarked that it looked a bit red. Since I'm getting it from both sources I think it probably is a reaction to the rubber.

(Anon c.1607)
BF Supporter 2004
Old Tuesday 25th May 2004, 13:03   #9
leetar

Actually I meant casting ring. Can't type most of the time. It is a little rim that is created when they pour the mold. If it is there you should be able to just feel it by rubbing your finger over the edge.

Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetail
Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I think I'll ask Warehouse Express whether they've any hard replacements or other ideas and then resort to the shrink-wrap method if need be (thanks for that tip, Andrew).

Leetar, what exactly is the casing ring you mention? I didn't make it clear, but I was actually thinking more of my scope when I asked the question. I've always been apt to get a mild irritation occasionally from my old Leitz bins - not enough to worry about - but I'm getting it a lot with my new scope. I was using it almost constantly on Saturday morning and my eye was still itching in the evening - even my wife remarked that it looked a bit red. Since I'm getting it from both sources I think it probably is a reaction to the rubber.
Old Friday 28th May 2004, 14:08   #10
Keith Reeder
Watch the birdie...

A cheap and easy fix is to go to your local chemist and buy a roll of micropore tape, and edge the eye pieces with this.

It's easily removed, doesn't leave any residue, is definitely hypoallergenic, and will solve the problem for pennies.

Dunno if I'd recommend the shrink-fit solution (no offence, Andrew), because waterproof or not, I can see no good coming from inflicting expensive bins to steam for a kettle, even for a short period!

Also, if the eyepieces are of soft rubber, they will in all likelihood distort as the shrink-fit contracts. I've used the same stuff to reinforce rod sections (I build and repair rods on occasion) and it does tighten up pretty significantly against the blank, so I'm pretty certain it could "mangle" the eyepieces...

Actually, I've just tested that theory - sad, eh? - and the eyepiece is OK, but trimming the shrink wrap such that it covers the very edge of the eyepiece without being an irritant in its own right, is beyond me. Plus, it makes the soft rubber uncomfortably hard, because the shrink tube goes very stiff when it cools.

Canon 7D, Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS, TCs.
www.capture-the-moment.co.uk

Last edited by blythkeith : Friday 28th May 2004 at 14:33.
BF Supporter 2006 2007
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: