• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Much to Replace ED50 Tripod Mount (1 Viewer)

4John

4John
I noticed my ED50 was wobbly on the tripod yesterday. I found the black plastic collar surrounding the helicoil threaded insert sticking out of the foot with a bit missing. The plastic plate then fell off revealing cracked plastic in one quarter around the helicoil, so screwing it back in is not an option.

I haven't hit it, dropped it, or over-tightened the screw, so it looks like the bad design previously reported on other threads on this forum. Its only just over 18 months old.

It seems the foot is held on with 4 small screws and one large one, so it should be easy to replace.

Has anyone else had this problem repaired by Nikon in the UK, and if so how did they charge ? I don't want to be ripped off for a quote only to find it's not economically repairable.

Thanks

Mark

This a known issue with the ED50 (quite a bit of discussion about it on BF). You should be able to get it repaired for free under the warranty. I did with mine anyway.

Maybe. I keep a Velbon QR plate permanently attached and have not had any more issues. If a warranty repair is not possible, I would attempt my own permanent "epoxy" solution.

Horukuru might be right - I use a monopod and a tripod with the ED50, and they have different plates.

I am grateful to others on this forum who have posted about the problems with the helicoil, so I have always been careful not to tighten the screw too tight. However, I also know that the helicoil fixing can be just as easy to damage if the plate is too loose.

If changing plates regularly is the cause then, as others have already pointed out - it's a pretty poor design (and I hope 'Mr Nikon' is reading this, just as 'Mr Swarovski' and others do !).

Andrew Whitehouse got his replaced under warranty (Thanks for the post Andrew). Has anyone else in the UK had theirs replaced under warranty, or has anyone had to pay and if so how much ?

This information will help me in the telephone conversation I am going to need with Nikon UK this week (and anyone else in future searching the forum with the same problem).

Thanks

Mark

Does is ever happened where certain products by optic makers were called back to the factory because of the faulty design ? Like some of the current car brands now ...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back