Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 6th July 2010, 18:15   #1
David Smith
Warrington Lancs

Weird problem with thumbnail

I cropped this photo to what you will (hopefully) see. Then something strange happened
The thumbnail shows the full (pre-crop) photo but when I click and open it-it shows the cropped version.
I don't know what we will see when this is posted-or what will happen when we click on it but.......can someone tell me why/how this has happened.
I have tried copying it to different locations/folders but the same thing occurs every time.
Thanks
Edit
Now I have posted it I can see that it only shows the cropped photo----hopefully someone can understand what I am trying to explain (I'm beginning to sound like my signature)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CoalTit.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	270994  

Last edited by David Smith : Tuesday 6th July 2010 at 18:17.
BF Supporter 2008 2009
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Tuesday 6th July 2010, 18:19   #2
Mono
Hi!

What program are you using to crop it in & what program to view it?

I'm guessing that the viewing program has cached the thumbnail, most do, and is showing its cached, older pre-crop, version. There will be some way to get it to redraw the thumbnail, it depends on the program.
Old Tuesday 6th July 2010, 20:06   #3
David Smith
Warrington Lancs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
What program are you using to crop it in & what program to view it?
I'm guessing that the viewing program has cached the thumbnail, most do, and is showing its cached, older pre-crop, version. There will be some way to get it to redraw the thumbnail, it depends on the program.
I stored in a simple folder on my desktop. I then opened & cropped it using Photofiltre (which I normally use). I then did a little work and closed it down-then noticed it showed the original 'full photo'. I thought "that's odd" and opened it up only to see the cropped version.
I dont understand what "cached" means (I understand the word but not in computer terms)
BF Supporter 2008 2009
Old Tuesday 6th July 2010, 20:32   #4
njlarsen
Opus Editor

In windows, there is a hidden file called thumbs.db (in WinXP, at least). In that folder is hidden the small image that windows shows as the thumbnail for the image. I don't know why, but the image inside that file has not been updated when you did your editing and cropping. I am not sure how to force windows to update that database?

Try to see what happens after a shutdown and restart of you machine.

Niels
BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Tuesday 6th July 2010, 20:57   #5
Mono
Hi!

David,

It takes time for Windows to scan the images and draw the thumbnails so once it has done it it saves them away, caches them, so that next time it can just look in the cache. As Niels has said in Windows each folder has a hidden file called thumbs.db that contains the thumbnails. Hitting F5 should force Windows to redraw the thumbnails failing that you could got to Tools > Folder Options > View and set it to show hidden files and then delete the thumbs.db in that folder. Also in Tools > Folder Options > View you can tell Windows not to cache your thumbnails.

Mono
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: