Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 19th July 2010, 16:02   #1
Mergus1
the Bavarian Birder

Possible "Coenagrion" an "Sympetrum" Dragonflies, GER

Hi,
I´ve been diligent these days . The following pictures may show a "Coenagrion" and a "Sympetrum" species. But which one ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DragonFL_0.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	273209  Click image for larger version

Name:	DragonFL_1.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	273210  
Old Monday 19th July 2010, 18:49   #2
Odonate

Hi

I think that your Coenagrion is actually Erythromma lindenii. Was it close to a pond? I reckon that the Sympetrum is Sympetrum striolatum but I will freely admit that the Sympetrum family is all a bit confusing to me.

Edit: I know that I said that the spur on the thorax was typical of Coenagrion but lindenii is complicated and has changed name at least once. I am not convinced that it should go with Erythromma or Coenagrion and was perhaps best left on its own as Cercion!

O

Last edited by Odonate : Monday 19th July 2010 at 19:14.
Old Tuesday 20th July 2010, 18:22   #3
Mergus1
the Bavarian Birder

Thanks,
I already thought of "Erythromma lindenii" (just under a other name). Well, it wasn´t actually near a pond, it was directly near the "Isar", a river in my area.
Well "Sympetrum" species aren´t very easy, indeed. Especially if they´re females.
Old Tuesday 20th July 2010, 19:00   #4
Odonate

The Isar seems like a nice wide and slow flowing river almost like a lake. lindenii is a lover of nice calm waters and I have only ever seen them on lakes and ponds but it seems they can live on slow rivers.

The fact that no one has said that it is not striolatum is a good start!!

O
Old Tuesday 20th July 2010, 19:41   #5
pdwinter
Paul Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odonate View Post
The Isar seems like a nice wide and slow flowing river almost like a lake. lindenii is a lover of nice calm waters and I have only ever seen them on lakes and ponds but it seems they can live on slow rivers.

The fact that no one has said that it is not striolatum is a good start!!

O
I've only seen Blue-eye/Goblet-marked Damselfly/Erythromma lindenii on slow flowing rivers so far!
Old Saturday 24th July 2010, 18:45   #6
RoyW

I agree with Erythromma lindenii & Sympetrum striolatum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odonate View Post
Edit: I know that I said that the spur on the thorax was typical of Coenagrion but lindenii is complicated and has changed name at least once. I am not convinced that it should go with Erythromma or Coenagrion and was perhaps best left on its own as Cercion
Unfortunately, the pattern on the side of the thorax seen here is typical of both Coenagrion and Erythromma. The upper 'spur' is useful for seperating Coenagrion and Enallgama, but doesn't help with the similarly coloured lindenii.
In many respects, including behaviour, lindenii is similar to the Red-eyes.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: