Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 2nd June 2004, 18:41   #1
helenol

Short-Tailed Vole

How short is the short-tailed voles tail?

I have one on the bank, and can't make my mind up whether it's the above or it's a Bank Vole, it runs too fast to be able to see the tail!

Thanks.
Old Wednesday 2nd June 2004, 20:38   #2
tomjenner

Hi Helen
From what I can remember, the tail of a short-tailed vole is about the third of the length of its body and it is about half the length of the body in bank voles (someone with a book to hand may need to correct me on this). this feature can be useful when you have a captured animal, but is not the best thing to look for in the field. Short-tailed Voles have a grey-brown colour to them, whilst Bank Voles have a darker and warmer chestnut-brown colour to them. If they are seen relatively well, this can help. Habitat is also a very good guide. Field voles live in fields with long grass and make runways that you will find if you pull the grass back. Consequently, they are not seen very often. bank voles are more often seen in forested areas or bushy undergrowth. I hope this is some use.
Tom
Old Thursday 3rd June 2004, 14:51   #3
helenol

Tom, thanks for that. The colour may suggest it is a short-tailed vole. But, it is seen on a grassy bank with undergrowth in woodland which may suggest a bank vole!

In an ideal world it would be helpful to see one of each side by side to compare. I'll try and get a pic soon.

Thanks for the info.
Old Tuesday 8th June 2004, 07:10   #4
helenol

Finally managed to get a pic of what I think may be a vole! short tailed or bank?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vole.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	9629  Click image for larger version

Name:	vole2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	9630  
Old Tuesday 8th June 2004, 08:08   #5
Michael Frankis