Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Experience the Great Outdoors. New Zeiss Terra ED Binoculars. Visit our online shop to find out more!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 28th July 2010, 22:48   #26
twildmedia1

I think this is little bit late. It cost us 58.00 so will not be rushing back. The stats are totally misleading anyway as the counter only records a percentage of hits to page visits so i think probably not worth the hassle of three hours lost work trying to solve problem
Old Thursday 29th July 2010, 01:25   #27
Howard_Hopkinso
Malware Removal

I feel sorry for both the owners of the website in question and it's users. The rise of the drive by infection really is the most worrying trend. Often, the owners of the site are not aware that anything is wrong, until their members start letting them know.

These types of attacks can happen to anyone unfortunately.

The best advice I can give is until the site is classed as safe, don't visit it.

In the mean time, if you think your computer is infected, please read this thread HERE and post the requested log files once done.
Old Thursday 29th July 2010, 07:39   #28
Ashley beolens
Breeding the next generation of birders.

To reply too twildmedia1 on behalf of Fatbirder... As soon as they were first alerted to the problem Fatbirder went to work to find the problem - at a great deal more cost than 58! This was an attack through an adserver - a third party piece of kit - a particularly stupid and vicious bit of very complex malware. Fatbirder replied to ALL those individuals from whom he recieved mails about the problem. While this is all very unfortunate and took a deal of effort to resolve there is a greater lesson... ALL internet users should be running up to date anti malware software... and a quality browser - which cost around 30 a year for a subscription (many are free). To re-iterate Google didn't bother to inform any of the website owners of the problem so thanks are due to alert Birding Top 1000 and Fatbirder members.
Old Thursday 29th July 2010, 07:49   #29
NicoleB
Nature addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley beolens View Post
Rest assured normal service will shortly be resumed! Fatbirder wishes to thank all those people who let him know about the problem and gave their support against this abuse of the WWW - love the Fatbirders son ;-)
Thanks! I wasn't even sure if I should post it, since I didn't know if this was a 'Middle East joke' again or whatnot.

Glad it could be solved!

Quote:
PS This particular malware is widespread and is delivered by the same software that many sites use to carry their Google Ads!
You mean, google would give a Site warning about a Site containing Malware due to google ads?
Ain't that ironic

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 29th July 2010, 07:52   #30
MarcellC

I still got the malware warning on Google Chrome this morning on a site that had the Fatbirder counter - as well as the African Bird Club website.

If I understand you correct Ashley, this warning is now just because Google haven't reviewed the site again?
Old Thursday 29th July 2010, 07:56   #31
NicoleB
Nature addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcellC View Post
If I understand you correct Ashley, this warning is now just because Google haven't reviewed the site again?
I think, that's the case. As far as i 'know' google, it might take a while :(

Old Thursday 29th July 2010, 08:02   #32
MarcellC

Thanks Nicole - "lucky" or otherwise, my Mac seems to have 'survived' any malcontent.
Old Thursday 29th July 2010, 08:06   #33
NicoleB
Nature addict

@Marcel - My machine seems to have survived too. Am scanning right now, but so far so good.
I really didn't take it that serious.... *bbrr.......*

I am glad too when Fatbirder is back.
I like the little Top 1000 tool AND I love the Info they provide.

Old Thursday 29th July 2010, 08:41   #34
MarcellC

lol neither did I. will be scanning too
Old Thursday 29th July 2010, 09:59   #35
jeff

Quote:
To re-iterate Google didn't bother to inform any of the website owners of the problem so thanks are due to alert Birding Top 1000 and Fatbirder members.
Curious, why would you think Google would inform you about this?
Old Thursday 29th July 2010, 10:17   #36
NicoleB
Nature addict

@Marcel
Do you still have the Fatbirder widget on your blog?
Can't access it - Malware alarm.... :(

I could access my blog right away, after removing the widget the warning was gone.

Old Thursday 29th July 2010, 10:53   #37
twildmedia1

I am amazed that we did not receive a email advising of the problem from fatbirder and cannot understand why they didn't take down there sites. It may have been fixed at their end but the malware attached itself to widget so does that mean 100's of sites will still be affected.

We are protected but malware was a direct download from widget so impossible to stop as once clicked it was too late.

I could not obtain telephone number for fatbirder and was not prepared to visit their site at risk of more damage

It would be nice to at least have an apology

www.robwilsonphotos.co.uk
Old Thursday 29th July 2010, 11:53   #38
MarcellC

Thanks for reminding me Nicole - totally forgot I still had that widget there. I've removed it now and it seems fine.
Old Thursday 29th July 2010, 11:54   #39
NicoleB
Nature addict

@Marcel
Dooh You're welcome :)

Old Thursday 29th July 2010, 12:10   #40
MarcellC

haha Nicole, pretty much what I said to myself as well
Old Thursday 29th July 2010, 14:47   #41
Marcus Conway - ebirder

Hi Ash, thanks for taking the time to respond and put your head above the parapet on a public forum.

Clearly you are not entirely responsible for third party attacks on your widgets and well done you for getting things sorted so quickly. However, the most disconcerting thing is that we only found out when contacted through our website and then via Birdforum we got the details. Others found out because malicious attempts were made to get money out of bank accounts or when their computers died. Given that you knew about this for a while it would have been helpful to have an email in the same way you contact us when there is an update to the ticker widget.

If just one of the visitors to our website had been affected by the trojan we would have gone to great lengths to follow up and apologise and try and sort things out.

Hopefully it's gone for good and fatbirder can get back to being a good resource for birders.

Cheers, Marcus

Last edited by Marcus Conway - ebirder : Thursday 29th July 2010 at 16:30.

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 29th July 2010, 17:58   #42
Ashley beolens
Breeding the next generation of birders.

A brief explanation of the issue: Fatbirder uses an open source ad server (one use by a large number of internet webmasters to host ads - openX) anyone using the same resource would have been targeted with the same malicious attack (ie not just fat birder or birding top 500), and have been. As soon as Fatbirder found there was an issue, the adservers were taken down and the malicious code removed, once this was done there was no longer a threat from either site.

Bo attempted to send a mail out last night, to inform people but while the site was blocked his email adresses were also blacklisted so no mail was able to be sent until this morning (when one was sent)

No infection would have gone through the birding top 500 widget, so this will not have inffected other sites. Bo will be sending messages to all members when Google has revisited the top 1000 site, and passed it (although it is clean so no need to worry). for sites blocked by google it is what are called cross-site warnings. Due to birding top 500/1000 having the issues.

To Jeff: When google blocks a page for malware their site claims they inform the webmaster of said site. Unfortunately they did not do this, so until I myself saw the issue with fatbirder.com Bo knew nothing about the problem.

Hope this keeps you all as upto date as poss.

To anyone using OpenX as an ad serve for their sites make sure you have the up to date version, or you may suffer similar issues.
Old Friday 30th July 2010, 19:50   #43
Delia

Hi, I have also been infected.
Can anyone advise me what to do the files were found on virus scans and appear to be in my virus vault my virus scan is AVG free V 8.5
What happened -brief description was sent to FATBIRDER via link after looking for info on birding for Wales Google had it as a green tick. As soon as I clicked the link a command promt opened I immediately closed this down I then got a warning via AVG to say a Trojan horse had been detected. I clicked heal infection.
Scans since on AVG show VIRUS FOUND C:\WINDOWS\Temp_ex.08exe
HKLM\Software|microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\run \\sniffer
INFECTION Trojan horse Back Door. Generic12.CBAH
Trojan horse cyptic. APF

I am also getting lots of tracking cookies which are new compared with usual scans including
Yieldmanager
Liveperson

The only difference to my computer is explorer is frequently crashing,
As a non "techy lady" can anyone advise me what to do, this is my first VIRUS-THANK YOU FAT BIRDER!

P.S I am about to go and check my bank details, I am guessing the safest thing is on a different computer!
Regards
Old Friday 30th July 2010, 20:04   #44
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delia View Post

P.S I am about to go and check my bank details, I am guessing the safest thing is on a different computer!
Regards
Hopefully AVG did catch everything bad that was downloaded. I would definitely at this time use a different computer for checking on the bank.

Look back at post no 27 in this thread by Howard, click on the link he provided, so that you can be taken to a page with advice on how to handle your computer. It will look daunting at first, but do things one step at a time and you should end up getting through.

Cheers
Niels

PS: could you tell us when you experienced this? Today, a couple of days ago, or when?

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 30th July 2010, 20:09   #45
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
Hopefully AVG did catch everything bad that was downloaded. I would definitely at this time use a different computer for checking on the bank.

Look back at post no 27 in this thread by Howard, click on the link he provided, so that you can be taken to a page with advice on how to handle your computer. It will look daunting at first, but do things one step at a time and you should end up getting through.

Cheers
Niels

PS: could you tell us when you experienced this? Today, a couple of days ago, or when?
Howard's link isn't working for me... I've sent him a PM about it.

D

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 30th July 2010, 20:43   #46
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Looks like his entire site is down at the moment

Niels

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 30th July 2010, 22:07   #47
Grousemore

I know he always recommends Malwarebytes, so wouldn't hurt to download and scan with that free software until Howard's back. Don't forget to update it first.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 31st July 2010, 08:51   #48
Delia

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post

Cheers
Niels

Thanks Niels
I would think it was about 5 days ago.
All the bank stuff seemed OK when I checked on another PC I had made a credit card transaction on my laptop post the problems but so far no problems when I checked this online also
Thanks
Old Saturday 31st July 2010, 13:56   #49
Cyclops
1 eyed tree hugging nature nut!

Fatbirder widget?? I was on their site the other day as a link from Punkbirder, no problems! (Win XP+Firefox)
But whats this 'widget'?

A 3D guy living in a 2D world....
Old Saturday 31st July 2010, 14:07   #50
NicoleB
Nature addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
But whats this 'widget'?
It's a little tool that tracks the count of visitors on your Site (when installed) and gives your Site a ranking in the Fatbirder's Top 1000 List.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: