Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 9th September 2010, 02:51   #51
sfrissell

John: Pretty good looking flicker sketches. You have captured all the various poses right on. I recognize all of them! I notice you are making many small sketches. I always did that too until I realized I wasn't coming back from the field with any larger drawings I could add watercolor to and maybe make a painting of. Try slipping in a few larger drawings, maybe 3/4 to full size, once in a while.
Old Thursday 9th September 2010, 03:29   #52
JTMB

Good advice, Sid. I will definitely do that!
www.johntubbsart.com

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 10th September 2010, 02:38   #53
JTMB

Swainson's Thrush - from an expired specimen

I went out to a nearby natural area this morning looking for birds, and specifically for birds to sketch. Then I found a young Swainson's Thrush that appeared to have flown into a wire fence, and was in the process of expiring when I found it. So, taking the advice of Tim and others here, the bird went home with me and I set up (in the kitchen) to start sketching and painting. The spouse came home (she is also a birder) and I wasn't sure about her reaction, but all she said was to make sure it was frozen after I was done for delivery to a natural history museum for a skin. Of course, this bird was not, uh, odiferous...which probably would make a big difference.

The first view I started in graphite lightly and then did watercolor. I overworked the watercolor pretty badly, although part of the issue is that the sketchbook paper, while set up for wet media, isn't as robust as my normal Arches paper. Still, it was another first - a painting in one sitting from an expired bird. The second view was done in graphite. The sketchbook is 9 x 9" so the pieces are both just about life size for the bird in question.

Advice, suggestions and critiques always welcome!

Click image for larger version

Name:	103-0129-PAN-SWTHfromLife-3Forks-Sep9,10-WS.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	282944
www.johntubbsart.com

Old Friday 10th September 2010, 07:38   #54
colleenc

you've really caught the bug now...and that last study is so strong! you're moving along quickly...

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 10th September 2010, 12:33   #55
solitaryVSong

Very nice John. I especially like the graphite one. I found that once I started using scope and could see birds in greater detail that my sketches improved. Maybe you'll find that being able to draw one right in front of you like this also pushes you forward.

Should be just about time for Swainson's to start moving through here on their fall migration.

Art, birds and nature blog: http://kenjanuski@blogspot.com

Old Saturday 11th September 2010, 03:09   #56
phil baber
artist for birds

This is now Ornithology. You are beginning to record that which will benefit others.

And the art is fine, and I like it.

A few annotations, as to observed details on the little corpse, would "flesh" it out more.

I am sorry it ended. But we are benefitting , through you, for its demise!
Old Saturday 11th September 2010, 20:18   #57
RussB
Going for Gold

Hi John,
Just been looking over your recent posts. Some very encouraging efforts here. It's good to see you tackling difficult subjects so early in your artistic days. Keep these and compare 'em in 12 months time to see how you've developed. Oh to be young and impressionable to the masters of BF!

Russ
Old Saturday 11th September 2010, 21:46   #58
JTMB

Thanks Colleen, Ken, Phil and Russ! I really appreciate the feedback. I must admit I got a good chuckle out of Russ's comment though - I like to think I'm young, and I try really hard to act young but the calendar says I'm 60 years old, a bit closer to 61 than 60 actually. I try to tell myself that I'm very young as far as art goes...!!

We don't have kids, so it's easier to be in denial about our real age, and that led to a funny situation at college last year. I took credit art classes for three quarters at a local college and while there were a couple of 'non-traditional' students like me, most of my fellow students were late teens or 20-somethings. I had the same classes with a few of them for each of the three quarters and I fit in well, joked with them, etc. - just another student, right? So on the last day of class the last quarter, one of the young gals asked me what courses I was going to be taking in the summer quarter. I replied that because I play in a band and had vacations scheduled, I was not going to be taking classes, and then said that I was sad because I wouldn't get to be in class with them again. To which the young gal said, 'Oh, John, that's so sweet! We'll miss you too. You're kind of like the class grandfather!'

I broke out into a belly laugh and said, 'Can I at least get a promotion to just being the class FATHER rather than GRANDFATHER?!' They all laughed, and the gal who said it tried her best to backpedal, much to my amusement - after all, chronologically, she was pretty much right on!

I figure since I've made art my 'career' now that I'm retired, I'll hopefully be able to progress at least a bit with continued effort.

Anyway, as further motivation, I ordered and just received Lars Jonsson's two bird art books - which pretty much blew the last two nights as far as anything but flipping through them in total awe. I have an Eric Ennion book that should be here Monday, and will be ordering Tim's of course the minute it's available through Amazon.

I've definitely caught the bug...!
www.johntubbsart.com

Old Sunday 12th September 2010, 16:47   #59
ARTHUR BISHOP

Youv'e nearly caught me up John. Lovely strong work. Keep it coming

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 12th September 2010, 20:49   #60
RussB
Going for Gold

Hi John,
What can I say! Lets call you 61 years young then! Honestly, I thought I'd got the 'vibes' you were much younger. It looks like I've mistaken you for someone else! Anyway, this is even more encouraging to me - to see 'seniors' setting out and improving at their chosen pastimes.

Keep at it, sir.

You're bang on about Lars: awesome.

Russ
Old Monday 13th September 2010, 16:22   #61
JTMB

Spotted Sandpiper

These sketches (first three in ink, last one in graphite) were done from a video I shot at the natural area which I bird frequently. So they're not really done from life, but it seemed like a good way for someone new to life drawing birds to build up experience. I put the video on continuous loop and sketched from that.

Spotted Sandpipers are common summer residents and breeders in my local area, and relatively easy to find and observe. So next year when I have my first full summer drawing birds from life, they'll be one of my target species for a lot of practice. In non-breeding plumage (here) they have lost the large spots on the chest and belly that give the species its name.

I'm finding that bills (and feet) are my biggest challenges to get 'right' at present. That was true with these. The large eye ring was hard to get to feel at all natural, maybe partly because I was using ink...?

Critiques and advice welcome as always!

Name:	103-0131-PAN-SPSAfromVideo-Sep10,10-WS.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	283551Click image for larger version

Name:	103-0133-PAN-SPSAfromVideo-Sep10,10-WS.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	283552Click image for larger version

Name:	103-0135-PAN-SPSAfromVideo-Sep10,10-WS.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	283553Click image for larger version

Name:	103-0137-PAN-SPSAfromVideo-Sep10,10-WS.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	283554
www.johntubbsart.com

Old Monday 13th September 2010, 16:34   #62
ed keeble

definitely on an upward curve- I could see straight away in thumbnail that the Spotted Sand had an extra rightness about it..

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 13th September 2010, 18:53   #63
colleenc

John enjoyed your college story...and that last piper is really nice, can see where you will be soon, some real grace there.

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke

Old Monday 13th September 2010, 21:44   #64
Jackie Garner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMB View Post
I'm finding that bills (and feet) are my biggest challenges to get 'right' at present.
Observation is the key to getting both of those "right", but knowing the anatomy helps. John Busby's book "Drawing Birds" has a good section on that, and your local natural history museum may well have bird skeletons on display which you should find useful. After that it comes down to practice! Drawings from dead specimens are really useful too, as you've already discovered.

Keep drawing. You're progressing well - much faster than I ever did!
Old Monday 13th September 2010, 21:56   #65
JTMB

Thank you Ed, Colleen and Jackie - very much!

Jackie - I have Busby's book and have gone through it twice, but it is the type of wonderful book that I will have to read and apply many more times until I really 'get it'. Given how late in life I've started art, it's very motivating to hear someone at your level say I'm progressing quickly (Ed and Colleen - thank you folks as well!). Maybe I will have enough time left on earth to get beyond the early stages.

I had an art teacher in junior high school tell me I had no art talent, so I pursued other things and never even attempted art until two years ago - when I took a nature journaling class for birding, thinking it would interesting even though I 'knew' I couldn't draw. All those years wasted...sigh! One benefit, I think, of starting as a mature adult (ok, well, an adult chronologically anyway!) is that I do know how to study and focus, and I had a career that required organization and discipline. Those things applied to art, coupled with a real love for the subject matter, haved helped the learning curve I think.
www.johntubbsart.com

Old Monday 13th September 2010, 22:07   #66
Jackie Garner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMB View Post
I had an art teacher in junior high school tell me I had no art talent.
Aaargh! It's so frustrating how many art teachers have put people off the subject. I guarantee that in every beginners' class I teach, at least one person will make a similar comment to yours. I'm sure there are good art teachers all over the world, but there also seems to be a proliferation of discouragers.

Congratulations on overcoming them.
Old Monday 13th September 2010, 23:40   #67
sfrissell

Young - old, it doesn't really make any difference. If you are having fun with your art, keep at it. You are already progressing marvelously. I'm still trying to paint decent bird paintings and I've been at it seriously for about 17 years (since retirement). And by the way, I've got you beat--I'm 72--today!
Old Tuesday 14th September 2010, 16:02   #68
JTMB

Western Tanager Sketches - from video

Thanks Sid and Jackie.

Jackie - yes, I've heard deja vu stories like mine from quite a few people. I read somewhere that it's an interesting dichotomy relative to music. No one hands a violin to an untrained teenager and when they can't play at a competent level deems them to have no musical talent. Yet it seems to be that some have the attitude that if that same teenager can't produce a 'good' drawing or painting they have 'no talent for art'. Strange.

Here are yesterday's sketches which are not technically completely from life, but close enough that I'm counting them as such while I'm still at the beginning stages of learning how to do this. They were done from a video I shot at the natural area where I frequently bird. What I have been doing with the videos is to put them on a continuous loop and then sketch during the video. This is like doing it from life in that the birds are in normal motion and activities, but it allows you to get several tries on a given pose when it comes around again. I'm hoping this will help shorten my learning curve on drawing birds from life.

These two pages are a Western Tanager adult female. These birds have been migrating through our area for the last couple weeks, heading south for the upcoming winter. I lucked into the video opportunity. I pulled into a golf course parking lot that borders on the natural area where I bird and sketch - the parking lot overlooks a slough which usually has some birds on it. In the riparian vegetation right by the car, I saw movement and several Western Tanagers were working the trees. So as not to scare the birds, I shot the video while hanging out of the car, rather to get outside completely.

The sketches are done in Pigma Micron ink, then watercolor washes added. A couple of these you'll notice don't include the wing bars - on those I was just worried about getting the shape and head features correct.

As always, critiques are welcome.

Name:	103-0144-PAN-WETAfromVideo-Sep13,10-WS.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	283681Click image for larger version

Name:	103-0147-WETAfromVideo-Sep13,10-WS.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	283682
www.johntubbsart.com

Last edited by JTMB : Tuesday 14th September 2010 at 16:04.

Old Tuesday 14th September 2010, 16:35   #69
birdboybowley

Coming along nicely John!

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 15th September 2010, 08:25   #70
RussB
Going for Gold

Excellent!
Once again I commend you for your sterling efforts, John. I like to see the dedication to your art you've described with the spotted sands, like setting yourself standards with particular species - that's something I do, but I'm not improving as fast as this!
Very nice efforts with the tanagers, too. It's obvious you've some skill with watercolours as thse look very controlled. Video seems a great idea, especially when the winds howling and it's freezing outdoors.
Let's see where you are in 12 months!

Russ
Old Wednesday 15th September 2010, 17:30   #71
ARTHUR BISHOP

nice sketches John

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 15th September 2010, 19:19   #72
colleenc

easy to see that you are really drawing what you see, and each time the birds have more and more life...mush on!

Old Wednesday 15th September 2010, 20:08   #73
JTMB

Thanks very much for the encouragement Adam, Russ, Arthur and Colleen! I am having a blast and really think this is going to be a major part of the rest of my life.
www.johntubbsart.com

Old Wednesday 15th September 2010, 22:09   #74
JTMB

Gull (mostly Ring-billed) Sketches

Here are this morning's sketching efforts. I went to a nearby state park that borders on a large lake to see if I could find any gulls (usually we get the most gulls on inland waters in the winter, not in summer or fall) and found a group of about twenty. They were fairly used to people, so I set up the camp stool pretty close to them and started sketching. I had only done gulls once before, so this is early in the learning curve. They certainly are much more cooperative subjects than the other families of birds I've tried so far.

These are in a 14x11" sketchbook using Pigma Micron pens.

Name:	103-0148-PAN-RBGUfromLife-Sep15,10-WS.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	283923

Name:	103-0151-PAN-RBGUfromLife-Sep15,10-WS.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	283924

Name:	103-0153-PAN-RBGUfromLife-Sep15,10-WS.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	283925

Name:	103-0155-PAN-RBGUfromLife-Sep15,10-WS.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	283926
www.johntubbsart.com

Old Thursday 16th September 2010, 14:21   #75
birdboybowley

Nice observational work John.
Don't know if it's just me but I find sketching with pens very hard - a good quality B-3B grade pencil is much better as it gives you a great tonal range depending on how hard you're pressing and gives the ability to lightly shade areas to give your subjects form - something ink doesn't do. Again, maybe it's just me!

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: