Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 25th August 2010, 18:07   #1
Andrew H

Travelling abroad with watercolour paints

Not sure if this is the correct place to pose this question, but I know I can count on some proper answers...

Im seriously considering taking my Watercolour paints on holiday with me this year.
Has anyone had any issues about taking their W/C kit on an aircraft....either as hand luggage or in the main suitcase....and what about Tubes of W/C paint...or will they need to go in the aircraft hold.?
I presume that cans of Fixative are a Positive NO for the hand luggage as well....
Any thoughts or useful links much appriciated people.....
Old Wednesday 25th August 2010, 18:20   #2
birdboybowley

I usually take my watercolour paints - I've got a handy Dowler-Rowney plastic 'case' that is hardy (the paints are 2 tubes of black & white and the rest being little cubes) and has everything and can fit a couple of brushes in it too. All the other bits go in a pencil case. I always wrap it in a t-shirt or something and put it into my main bag.
Yeah, they won't let you take cans on as hand luggage, although you can out them in hold baggage too.

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th August 2010, 18:34   #3
colleenc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post

I presume that cans of Fixative are a Positive NO for the hand luggage as well....
Any thoughts or useful links much appriciated people.....
There is a new non toxic fixative out called Spectrafix...they sell a concentrate that will meet regs, then at your destination you pour it in the empty spraybottle they sell and just add vodka or alcohol. I love the fix, no more toxic chemicals and works great on my pastels, does not alter color like some.

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th August 2010, 19:18   #4
birdboybowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleenc View Post
...just add vodka or alcohol. I love the fix...
Me too Colleen

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th August 2010, 19:41   #5
Andrew H

beats injecting oranges with vodka, to get past the alcohol ban at a rugby match....
Thanxs. BBB, I think Ive found somthing on a Civil Airline Auth website with a whole load of ticky boxes....
Old Wednesday 25th August 2010, 20:16   #6
colleenc

yes I thought of that BBB...the point is you buy the vodka where you land...of course then you have extra vodka to get rid of....hmmmm, get out the oranges.

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th August 2010, 21:02   #7
Jackie Garner

Don't know what make of paints you use, but look at the manufacturer's website for help. W&N and DR both have info about taking paints on aircrafts, and state whether they can be carried on person, in hand luggage or in the hold. CAA has similar info too. Useful to download the fact sheet and carry it with your paints on board. That way you should be able to point out the error of their ways to the airline jobsworth who makes a fuss without knowing the facts - like the one who confiscated my friend's oils whilst letting him take liquin on board! You should be ok with watercolours, though I'd keep tubes in a plastic bag for fear of exploding paints!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: