Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 30th August 2010, 21:16   #1
gambirder
Kev Roy

Exclamation Fajara Golf Course hazard!

Just a wee warning for anyone birding Fajara Golf Course. I was there about 6pm today taking in the birds (notably Hoopoe) and butterflies. Walking through the 'rough' I saw a snake moving slowly about 3m away and craned my neck for a closer look whereupon a cobra suddenly reared up with hood spread!! It reared up about a metre off the ground and I estimated it as c2.50m in length. There were two quite narrow whitish stripes on or just below the hood. Needless to say I was a little startled and, knowing they can spit, took a pace backwards. The cobra dropped to the ground and slithered quickly away.

I'm always semi-snake-conscious here, and stomp if going through longish grass, but I really didn't think there were such large cobras so close to the built-up areas. So if you should be bushwhacking through long grass or the like while birding the golf course - or anywhere in coastal Gambia - do be aware there are beasties around. Having said that that's the first time I've seen a snake on many many visits to the golf course and the first time in hundreds of days birding the Gambian bush when a cobra's reared up on me. One of my great Gambia experiences and a great wildlife moment!

Last edited by gambirder : Monday 30th August 2010 at 21:18. Reason: spelling correction
Old Wednesday 8th September 2010, 17:09   #2
stevieb
Attempting to put Melksham on the map

Yikes!!

Could be a good start to a thread. 'Most dangerous animals encountered whilst birding!'

I bumped into a Montpellier Snake (almost literally!) whilst birding in Cyprus. A quick backtrack was made by yours truly. Also encountered Alligators and Wild Boar in Florida, not quite Lions and Tigers but then again I am a bit of a wuss!!

Last edited by stevieb : Wednesday 8th September 2010 at 17:13.
Old Wednesday 8th September 2010, 23:13   #3
gambirder
Kev Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieb View Post
Yikes!!

Could be a good start to a thread. 'Most dangerous animals encountered whilst birding!'
Done stevie. Thanks for the suggestion!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: