Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 5th September 2010, 14:18   #1
zoltannemeth

Martial Eagle attacks Kori Bustard in South Africa

While I was searching the net for my bustard studies, I came across the first edition of "Bustard Beat".
It has an interesting photo of a Martial Eagle attacking a male Kori Bustard (the article doesn't mention that it's a male, but the big size difference and the black markings on the bustard's neck suggest it's a male). I thought it would be interesting to post here.

The story behind the photo is the following (taken from the paper, originally written by Rose Marie Barker):

"We came round a corner at the Khalagadi Frontier Park and saw a Martial Eagle attack a Kori Bustard breaking its wing. The eagle then proceeded to attack another five times with the bustard retaliating and causing blood marks on its leg. Eventually the eagle flew away and the bustard walked down to the riverbed bleeding badly. The next morning it was being eaten by a jackal.
What is strange is that 2 km down the riverbed there were at least 200 baby
springbok, some still with afterbirth attached, which would have made a much easier meal for the eagle".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	282190  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: