Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 29th September 2010, 20:10   #1
else918

Uk Retailers for Zen Ray

Hi Guys

Can anybody tell me if Zen Ray's have a shop or retailer in UK so can buy from them.

Thanks
Danny
Old Thursday 30th September 2010, 05:35   #2
ronh

Danny,
I believe, from reading this forum throughout the rise to power of these kinds of Chinese binoculars, that Zen Ray is a strictly American branding. The same design, however, is available in Britain. Here's a typical discussion on different brandings,

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=181585

and I believe the Hawke is available in the UK. There may be minor differences vs Zen Ray, depending on what the dealer specs. from the Chinese maker, and there may well be large differences in guarantees and customer treatment.
Ron
Old Thursday 30th September 2010, 19:56   #3
Martin Fagg
Registered Member

You can get Hawke 8x43s that are like the ZRs but unfortunately you can't get the 7x36 format. That's what I'd like to see over here. I'd love to give them a try.
Old Thursday 30th September 2010, 20:56   #4
Veracocha

You can get the Hawke ED 8 x 36 for 199 at LCE Worcester
Old Friday 1st October 2010, 21:52   #5
falcondude

Hawke ED is similar to ZEN ED1, with slightly different spec. I have an 8x43 ZEN ED1 for over a year. It's a solid performer for $370 I paid even it does not have better coating as ZEN ED2.
Old Tuesday 9th November 2010, 11:11   #6
keithdrengen

I remember a Swedish fellow in here had a pair of Zen ray 7x36, I wonder what he paid including EU tax and shipping?
Best
Carsten J
Old Tuesday 9th November 2010, 12:00   #7
Wolf Beam

I'm note sure whether I'm the same Swedish guy who is mentioned above. However, I ordered Zen Ray 7x36s five months ago and paid 375 USD x 1,33 (tax, custom and postage) = 500 USD. I made the order from the Zen Ray online store and delivery was made in four days.

Whenever I order something from the US I calculate the stated price times 1,33 (Swedish tax, custom and postage). When the USD rate is down (like now), it's usually a bargain to make overseas orders. However, if you have to use warranties or wish to send an item back, the money you have saved will quickly disappear!
Old Tuesday 9th November 2010, 12:41   #8
keithdrengen

Fast reply thanks..
Are the depth of focus (or the feel of it) significantly narrower on the 8x43 than on the 7x36?
Are the import tax added automatically or do I report it manually somehow?
Thnks
Carsten J
Old Tuesday 9th November 2010, 13:31   #9
Wolf Beam

Postage was added to the price of the bino and my credit card was charged when I made the order. On delivery (by UPS) I had to pay Swedish tax and custom.

I have only experience of the 7x36 but lower power will lead to longer depth o focus on most binos.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: