Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 14th October 2010, 02:46   #1
Mulga

Question Alpha warranty

Hello all,

I am in the market for some high end binoculars and was thinking of purchasing from the USA. High end binoculars are overpriced here in Australia with a pair of new Swarovision EL's selling between AUD$3200 - $3600. With the Aussie dollar almost hitting parity with the USD I was thinking of making some savings and mail ordering from the USA.

The big sticking point for me is the warranty. Would anyone know if the Swaro or Leica warranty be vald for me here in Australia?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

Ps. this is my first post, great forum
Old Thursday 14th October 2010, 15:38   #2
ronh

Dan,
This is a hazy area, an unusual situation, and no place for speculation. Purchasing outside your home country seems to blur into "grey market" territory, where warranties are known to be worthless. I think you should get this clarified by both the dealer and the manufacturer, and make hard copies of their promises.

You will achieve instant stardom here if purchasing the Swarovision is your first issue. Why couldn't you just be trying to find replacement eyecups for a dreary old Bushnell Insta-Focus, like a good newbie is supposed to do, huh? Just kidding, welcome to the forum!
Ron
Old Thursday 14th October 2010, 18:06   #3
Tero
Couch birder

Welcome to the forum. Be aware that you have to pay sustoms on them. Also, any repairs you send out yopu have to prove you own them, otherwise you will pay the customs again.
BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Thursday 14th October 2010, 20:56   #4
Mulga

From previous experience with importing optics to Australia. There is no customs duty here on optics. However there is a 10% GST on itens over AUD$1000.

From the Swarovski WWW http://www.swarovskioptik.com/upload...%5B1411%5D.pdf

From my synthesis of the warrranty statement: if purchased outside USA have worldwide 10 year warranty, purchased in USA only have warranty in USA.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: