Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 18th June 2004, 21:17   #1
rupicola
Amigo de los Psittacidos

looking for information parrot predation

Is there anyone out there who ever witnessed a parrot being predated by a bird or any other animal? I try to make an inventory of predators of this kind.

Last edited by rupicola : Tuesday 29th June 2004 at 17:52.
Old Friday 18th June 2004, 21:21   #2
Dave B Smith

In Mexico, man is the biggest predator of the Yellow-headed Parrots. They have almost been extirpated in Mexico for the pet trade. This probably isn't the info you were looking for, but thought I would throw it in.
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Saturday 19th June 2004, 19:47   #3
rupicola
Amigo de los Psittacidos

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B Smith
In Mexico, man is the biggest predator of the Yellow-headed Parrots. They have almost been extirpated in Mexico for the pet trade. This probably isn't the info you were looking for, but thought I would throw it in.
Not only in Mexico but Worldwide the declining of habitats by human interference and the capturing of parrots for live trade are the two main reasons that makes man the biggest predator on wild parrots!
So you're right to throw this in!
The main reason why I am looking for more 'other than human' predadors is to make other birdkeepers aware that parrots should no longer be caught for international trade and no longer be imported in to Western countries.
By publishing facts (unknown or unfamiliar facts to the average birdkeeper) about natural predation on parrots combined with widely known human interference as mentioned before, I might just keep a few extra birdkeepers from buying an imported parrot.

Last edited by rupicola : Wednesday 7th July 2004 at 19:49.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: