Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 20th November 2010, 11:40   #1
kitefarrago

Raptor ID South Africa

I visited South Africa in the first half of August this year. I have various pictures of mostly raptors where I'm not confident regarding identification. I'm relatively new to birding and this was my first visit to the area. The pictures were taken in the southern half of Kruger National Park.

I'll probably post several times in an effort to make it all less confusing. Also, I'm not sure whether the size of the jpgs I'd like to post is sensible, and it seems better to try this out with a post containing not too many images.

I'd appreciate any help with the following bird, which appears to be a juvenile snake eagle. It was identified to me as a juvenile brown snake eagle, but the light colour of the head makes me wonder.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snake1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	294069  Click image for larger version

Name:	snake2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	294070  Click image for larger version

Name:	snake3.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	294071  
Old Saturday 20th November 2010, 14:24   #2
birdboybowley

Can't think of anything else it can be. Apparently imms can be quite variable

www.adambowleyart.com
Old Saturday 20th November 2010, 16:54   #3
Tib78

The very pale head/upperparts and the slight rufous cast to the underparts would point towards immature Black-chested Snake Eagle rather than Brown.
Old Saturday 20th November 2010, 17:16   #4
rockfowl
Mark Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tib78 View Post
The very pale head/upperparts and the slight rufous cast to the underparts would point towards immature Black-chested Snake Eagle rather than Brown.
I wondered this but couldn't find images of many immature's, apart from this one which appears similar, - http://www.birdquest.net/afbid/birds...9&af_bs_id=255

What do Immature Banded look like?
Old Saturday 20th November 2010, 17:30   #5
Tib78

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfowl View Post
What do Immature Banded look like?
Structurally different from others Circaetus: more compact, shorter legged (with thicker tarsi) and with a shorter primary projection. Also often appearing even bigger headed than "typical" Circaetus.
The imms of both Southern and Western Banded Snake Eagle also usually show a whiter face contrasting with the nape and crown.
Old Saturday 20th November 2010, 17:37   #6
rockfowl
Mark Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tib78 View Post
Structurally different from others Circaetus: more compact, shorter legged (with thicker tarsi) and with a shorter primary projection. Also often appearing even bigger headed than "typical" Circaetus.
The imms of both Southern and Western Banded Snake Eagle also usually show a whiter face contrasting with the nape and crown.
Cheers Tib's, again few images on the net it seems, of immature's anyway, agree the structures rather different.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: