• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Belgian ring ouzel ?? (4 Viewers)

notjes

pics taken in Belgium yesterday. Somebody can say me if it's a Ring Ouzel or a common blackbird a bit special ?? thanks for your help

Attachments

• P1530521 - Copie.JPG
    P1530521 - Copie.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 380
  • P1530528 - Copie.JPG
    P1530528 - Copie.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 411
  • P1530532 - Copie.JPG
    P1530532 - Copie.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 264
I'd go with blackbird too, 1st winter as it has some retained GCs. There doesn't seem to be enough pale fringing on the wing feathers, and the torque isn't well defined enough. Also the primary projection doesn't appear long enough (though it's difficult to see in the pics). It's a doozy and without photos it could have been the one that got away. They're tricksy little buggers blackbirds and I'm sure we've all been worried by some of the more odd plumaged individuals.

Jim

One with white upper rear corners to its ear coverts, a couple of years ago near where I live, when seen from behind nearly gave me a Sibe Thrush heart attack!

James

In autumn, and to some degree in winter, here on the east coast, we regularly get blackbird with noticable white fringes to the body feathers. I have been reliably informed that this is indicative of birds from the east, although this is not mentioned in Duivendijk's Advanced Bird ID Guide.

Jim

Does anyone think there is a possiblity of it being a hybrid?

CB

I did a little googling in pursuit of that earlier. It's a very odd that the crescent marking is in just the right place if the bird is just an albino blackbird, while structurally it isn't a ring ouzel, which makes the suggestion of a hybrid worthy of investigation, IMHO.

Graham

Seems to lack the white edging to the wings, and the mottling on the nape of 1st winter Ring Ouzel.

Very convincing lookalike though. :)

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back