• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help in identifying Carton 10X50 (1 Viewer)

gagaryhop

My mom recently gave me a Carton 10X50 Field 5.5 binocular that she says belong to my Grandfather. How can I tell what year this particular Carton was manufactured.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carton help

Sorry, they just say Carton. There is a No. 85410. My mom is telling me they are from the 1920's. Would there be any other identifying markers on it that would help?

Sorry, they just say Carton. There is a No. 85410. My mom is telling me they are from the 1920's. Would there be any other identifying markers on it that would help?
If possible, send some pictures. My guess is it's Japanese 1950's - 1970's, but I can't find it on my list of Japanese binoculars (which isn't complete anyway). Is there a small "JB" number at the front of binocular by the hinge cap? Do the lenses have anti-reflective coatings (most likely blue/purple color)?

The name Carton did ring a bell and I remembered having a 10x40 roof model way back in the 1970's. These were quite decent. I'm not familiar with 10x50 porro models of this brand.

Adlerblick I had too, smallish 7x42 porro models, one rubber armoured and one leatherette. Quite good. Is this the same as Carton? I thought they were two different brands? My Adlerblick models only said "Adlerblick" ( Eagle eyed, this means) on the housing.

Best regards,

Ronald

response LBT

The JB # is 241 and yes the lenses look anti-reflective. There is also another number near the hinge it looks like LE30. Will send pic later today.

Thanks

Gary

The JB # is 241 and yes the lenses look anti-reflective. There is also another number near the hinge it looks like LE30. Will send pic later today.

Thanks

Gary
The binocular is post-war Japanese. JB241 is a Japanese manufacturing industry code indicating the maker of the finished binocular which in this case is Kazuo Tsuchihashi. "LE30" is actually JE30 and is the same type of code identifying the manufacturer of the body. I can't find my listing of this right now but they both are available at this site:
http://www.europa.com/~telscope/binotele.htm
Scroll down to Binoculars - Japan - JB and JE codes.
I,m guessing year of manufacture is mid-1950's to early 1970's.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back