• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbirds fall from Arkansas Sky (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
Story here.

Officials are investigating why more than 1,000 birds fell out of the sky in Arkansas on New Year's Eve.

Very strange and sad.

Hi Kits

How sad is that. It is the sheer number of Blackbirds too. :-C

Nature and Natural occurrences can lead to oddities like this at certain times.

Hope that the mystery is resolved

Regards
Kathy
x

There were tornados in Arkansas and Missouri on New Years Eve. Seven people dead from what I've seen so far. Guess that would account for the Blackbirds if they were caught up in one.

Blackbirds mystery

Thousands of Blackbirds dropped dead in Arkansas US, Thay started falling on new years eve and continued falling next day. One of the causes being looked at is fireworks disturbing roosting birds. Now I got this info off Shky News so is there a more reliable source to confirm what happened, Mods move if in wrong section, Thanks Ger.

Thousands of Blackbirds dropped dead in Arkansas US, Thay started falling on new years eve and continued falling next day. One of the causes being looked at is fireworks disturbing roosting birds. Now I got this info off Shky News so is there a more reliable source to confirm what happened, Mods move if in wrong section, Thanks Ger.

sounds like poisoning to me.

My guess, I would think they were sucked up from a roost by that tornado to high altitude causing them to die from lack of oxygen...From what I saw they looked like our Starlings, I have seen them in Florida they don't look much different to our native Starlings. Hopefully they will find the cause of this.

Roy.

interesting point; they have a lot tornados out there.

As usual, the media proclaim, 'Scientists are baffled' as if the first non-media person contacted with some sort of scientific qualification ought to be able to explain in detail why this event occurred, but of corse, don't cite their source, if there ever was one. I expect that after a little time, similar events may be described, and some ornithological background provided, but as always, the media will seek out the loopiest in the meanwhile!
MJB
Adjacency to lightning discharges is a plausible cause of death, given the spread of the corpses, but the other suggestions perhaps fail to explain the scale or the distribution.
MJB

Hopefully some of our trippy (hardcore) religious radio and tv shows will declare this ---- something. Or is that frogs?

Hopefully some of our trippy (hardcore) religious radio and tv shows will declare this ---- something. Or is that frogs?

"The shortest distance between two ears occurs in a closed mind"
Even if that wasn't by Ralph Waldo Emerson, it ought to have been! However, he did say, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." Sounds like the trippy religious antedated radio!
MJB

I just read about this sad event this morning from the AP online. That must have been extremely weird to see them just falling from the sky as they said. Hard to imagine they could have been poisoned with just one big group all going down supposedly at the same time. It seems more than just a coincidence that it happened in the vicinity of the deadly tornados that struck Arkansas. The other part that surprised me was that... "Rowe said similar events have occurred elsewhere and that test results "usually were inconclusive." ...in this day & age of forensic technology that nobody could come up with a conclusive reason.
It prob has something to do with secret govt germ warfare...;):-O or possibly aliens..:eek!:

I see the prevailing theory was that the birds had been startled by New Year’s Eve fireworks which I guess could be an explanation.

Seems unlikely to me. They are suggesting the fireworks startled them and caused them to run into chimneys, etc. Don't think fireworks would be anymore startling than lightning and thunder.

I'd also think a creature that's evolved to routinely hurtle itself through mid-air 100s of feet off the ground at relatively high speeds is going to be pretty adept at quickly adjusting to unexpected phenomena suddenly appearing in it's field of view.

But if they actually got hit by sparks from the fireworks, or the sparks went into the flock, that might be another matter. Might cause them to panic.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back