Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 5th January 2011, 07:59   #1
Eos9

Pagham Bittern

Visited Pagham (North wall) on Monday 3rd Jan and was immediately surprised on two counts. Just as I started along the wall a Bittern was heard calling (booming) quite loudly, not from the Breach pool side as I would have expected but from the harbour side itself. There were a number of birders already present and like me they immediately turned round to look in the direction of the harbour which was on a falling tide.
I've never before heard a Bittern 'booming' during the winter months and had always assumed that like a lot of birds was only to be heard during the breeding season.
Unfortunately I could not locate the bird at the time but did manage to get some reasonable views an hour or so later of it flying over the reeds / field on the pool side where I'd more expect it to be.
Just wondered if anybody else had ever heard Bittern calling during the winter ?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: