Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 22nd January 2011, 21:00   #1
Overread
Hunting birds with a canon

Spring is in the air

So I've less and less time to catch up on the backlog from last year before its warm enough for me to come out of my winter shell and get the camera out there (or more correctly getting nearer to when its not going to be muddy every single day )

So one oldie from last year - a Springtail:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5165/...652b3a4e_z.jpg
link to larger
f6.3, ISO 100, 1/200

Taken with Canon 400D, Canon MPE 65mm macro lens, speedlite 580EX2+lumiquest softbox

I might even have used an aperture too small for that shot, its always hard to know when down at 5:1 magnification, there is a fine line between shooting near wide open and shooting too closed down. That and its razor thin depth of field no matter what you shoot at (I've a great shot of this springtails behind as he makes his escape ).

Still a good result, might have oversharpened a little in editing, and the light is not exactly what I want with all the strong reflections from the moist surface. Sadly this type of shot is flash essential so its a battle with the flash unit to get it to come out right. This was with an older lighting setup of a simple 580EX2 and a softbox for the lighting.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: