• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aus Pied Oystercatcher or South Island Oystercatcher [SIPO] (1 Viewer)

Laurie Knight

G'day,

I was photographing waders at a roost [Brisbane] today and flushed a Pied Oystercatcher. The common species is the Australian Pied Oystercatcher [Haematopus longirostris], while the South Island Oystercatcher [Haematopus finschi] is a casual visitor.

As you can see from the photos, the bird appears to have more white in its upper wing panel and more white in its underwing than is the norm for Aus POs. Could this bird be a SIPO or an AusPO - SIPO hybrid?

Regards, Laurie.

Attachments

• Oystercatcher1.jpg
    Oystercatcher1.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 279
  • Oystercatcher3.jpg
    Oystercatcher3.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 244
  • Oystercatcher2.jpg
    Oystercatcher2.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 279
It has the underwing and Rump of a SIPO, I was going to call it as SIPO, but the Upper-wing in the first picture shows the white not reaching the body. I've never seen a SIPO, but I'd call it a Second Generation Hybrid, more SIPO then APO, but not fully SPIO, it's a Juvenile which are more likely to wander (I think).

Wish I knew more
-Nathan!

Last edited:
Immature APO?

Hi Laurie,

I heard a few people talk about SIPO's being sighted in SEQ a year or so ago so I did a bit of reading in HANZAB so at least I would be aware of what to look for. There is an interesting illustration of the underwing of the immature APO in flight and it shows a lot more white on the underwing than a mature APO - similar to a SIPO. Let me know if you dont have a copy of HANZAB and I will try to get a copy to you.

Cheers,

Carl Billingham
Taringa, Brisbane.

I can't help with your ID I'm afraid - I have no experience of either species.
Surely these photos show two different birds - a juvenile showing the underwing on the first photo and an adult flying away on photos 2 and 3. Could this be a source of confusion (especially if juveniles show a different underwing pattern)

I can't help with your ID I'm afraid - I have no experience of either species.
Surely these photos show two different birds - a juvenile showing the underwing on the first photo and an adult flying away on photos 2 and 3. Could this be a source of confusion (especially if juveniles show a different underwing pattern)

Yes, you are right in there being two birds. Now that I look again, I can see that the bird in Oystercatcher 1 has an orange bill [with mud on its tip] and Oystercatcher 2 has a red bill and mud on its feet. I have found another photo that was taken 4 seconds before Oystercatcher 2, which I have attached. It shows a clearer white underwing and a bigger upper wingbar.

Regards, Laurie.

Regards, Laurie.

Attachments

• Oystercatcher1a.jpg
    Oystercatcher1a.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Laurie,

Even with that last shot of yours, I don't see any more white on the underwing than on this shot of mine of an Aus PO.

Hard to say with the half-folded wing though.

Cheers
Mat

Attachments

• OZPO -IMG_8555.jpg
    OZPO -IMG_8555.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 84
I am not exactly familiar with this species, but it does sound to me like it could very well be a hybrid as suggested. I have seen several hybrid breeds in my area, and the description given of the variations in this bird is consistent with those that I have seen. I could be wrong, but I'm going to guess hybrid on this one.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back