• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Variegated Flycatcher in Panama? (1 Viewer)

SueO

Hi All,
Do I have a Very Rare bird here, or am I just not seeing things right?? I think I have a Variegated Flycatcher, but they are not supposed to be in Panama.
I have been organizing my photographs and sending them to my Picassa Web site and I came across a bird I saw here a year ago: January 18, 2010.
We had not been in Panama long and most birds were still new to me. I was confused by this bird and finally thought it must be a Streaked Flycatcher, but an insolens race, because of the unmarked undertail coverts. Maybe, it was a young bird? I didn’t have illustrations or images that allowed me a positive ID., and I filed it away. I looked in on that bird many times for afterward and remained confused.
A year later, I am more comfortable with the Flycatchers and when I went to transfer this photo, I realized that the bill was not big enough for a Streaked.
I am not going to go into detail here about my thoughts and my searching process here. If I’m right, I will post the long winded version on my blog. If I’m wrong, I still have a Lifer.;)
My reasons for my thinking in terms of Variegated:
1. Bill seems too long for Piratic.
2. Pale base on bill.
3. Prominent edging on wing coverts.
4. Rufous on tail. (arrow on image)
5. Throat is not white.
Sue

Attachments

• vfc.jpg
    vfc.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 98
  • vfly.jpg
    vfly.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 116
Thanks for your input Patrick. I had to question this even though I thought I was right. I have googled and found no posts at all about a Variegated in Panama. I did find a record for Washington State.
Sue

Are you 100% sure these pics were taken in Panama?

Hi Eduardo,
I am 110% sure these were taken in Panama. I know the exact tree he was in. He was on the 'Kennedy Loop' walk. It has been a mystery bird for me and I am not mistaken. I have a date on my camera and a passport.;) Also, I don't think I've been in any of the countries the bird is in (I will have to look at the range again to be sure about that.) Here is the google map for the Kenedy Loop. I have marked an X where the bird was.
Sue
EDIT: Funny you should ask. This morning, when I was saying, "I have a Real Rarity!" and was congratulating myself and doubting myself at the same time, my husband looked at the photo and said he thought I was right. Then he said, "The problem is, how do you prove the photo came from here?"

Attachments

• Kennedy Close-up.jpg
    Kennedy Close-up.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
These are the countries the bird is listed in (excludes the US):

Guyana,Peru,Argentina,Brazil,Paraguay,Ecuador,French Guiana,Uruguay,Trinidad and Tobago,Suriname,Bolivia,Canada,Colombia,Venezuela,

I have been to Canada, but not since I was 10 years old, and I have never been to any of the other countries.
Sue

EDIT: Oops, I just realized I have been to Canada as an adult. Gene and I bought Peregrine in Seattle and we did a 'shake-down' sail to Victoria before sailing her down the coast to California. However, I didn't find this bird there.

Last edited:
Well that's great news then!! It seems you've actually found a rarity/poss 1st for Panama. I also think this bird looks best for Variegated. I'd recommend sending the pics and report to George Angehr angehrg'at'si.org and also to the Xenornis website for spreading the info. Unless some actual expert sees this as a Piratic of some sort I guess you've done it! :t:
Congrats Sue

Last edited:
Well that's great news then!! It seems you've actually found a rarity/poss 1st for Panama. I also think this bird looks best for Variegated. I'd recommend sending the pics and report to George Angehr angehrg'at'si.org and also to the Xenornis website for spreading the info. Unless some actual expert sees this as a Piratic of some sort I guess you've done it! :t:
Congrats Sue

Thanks Eduardo. I'm really excited about this. I've had this unidentified bird hanging around since last January and I found the ID by luck. Part of my blog post today:

.....I was thinking it was too bad my Sibley’s didn’t have an illustration of this bird for comparison and I suddenly remembered seeing a Piratic Flycatcher illustration in my National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America. I dug it out. I was even more convinced my bird was not a Piratic. The Piratic's bill was too small and the wing coverts were not edged. However, the bird illustrated next to the Piratic sure looked like my bird: Variegated Flycatcher (Empidonomus varius). I found the ID to my bird serendipitously. Why had I not seen this bird before? Surely, if that bird had been in my Ridgley guide I would have seen it? ....

Last edited:
I'd recommend sending the pics and report to George Angehr angehrg'at'si.org and also to the Xenornis website for spreading the info. Unless some actual expert sees this as a Piratic of some sort I guess you've done it! :t:
Congrats Sue
Eduardo
I've sent emails and photos to both.
Sue
EDIT: Got a mailer daemon back on the George Angehr's address.

Last edited:
Hi Sue,

Thanks for the PM. I agree that this is a Variegated Flycatcher. Looks like a first for Panama. Congratulations.

Chris

Sue, what a great find! Congratulations.
Thanks, Lisa. It's been a weird day for me. I was really thrilled last night (morning) at 1:00a.m. when I saw the Variegated illustration and realized that was my bird, but by noon today, after being on the net trying to verify, I thought I had to be wrong. Mixed emotions had me going!
Sue

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back