• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown Eared Pheasant in Xuanzhong Temple, Shanxi (1 Viewer)

xiaoming

Xuanzhong Temple is in the northwest of Jiaocheng County, Shanxi Province. This weekend Beijng Birdwatching Society went there for Borwn-eard Pheasant. We saw five BEPs and about 20 long-tailed Rosefinches.

One of the birds I most want to see in China!

I've twice dipped, once in Shanxi at Panquangou NNR, and once somewhere north of Xian (I've forgotten the place). On both occasions the client I was leading saw the bird and I did not!

It would be great to hear more about your trip.

Cheers
Mike

The Buddhists ususally feed the Pheasant. So you can find some BEPs eat the corns on the ground in front of the temple and they don't fear human.

A birdwatcher and a pheasant:

Attachments

• hemaji.jpg
    hemaji.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 282
Wow! Gripped as much as Mike is!

What is the nearest train station or airport to this place? I'm sorely tempted to go there in May...

James

Congratulations Li Ming, I know you've tried to see these at various sites in the past. I guess it is still difficult to see this species at Xialongmen hence the visit to Shanxi.

Li Ming, do you know if these birds only come down to be fed in the winter or are they there year-round? I have already found the site and looking into visiting in mid-May if so!

Fancy joining up Mike?!

James

Li Ming, do you know if these birds only come down to be fed in the winter or are they there year-round? I have already found the site and looking into visiting in mid-May if so!

Fancy joining up Mike?!

James
Hi James,
It's said that the Pheasants can been seen all year, but winter may be much easier.

Hi James,
It's said that the Pheasants can been seen all year, but winter may be much easier.

Thanks Ming Li, much appreciated. Going in the winter is a bit too cold for me, though I do still need to see Japanese Waxwing so perhaps I could combine it with a visit to Beijing in the winter...

James

Terrific news and post as I was planning to look for this species in April. Does anyone know if the Xuanzhong Temple can can be reached by public bus from Taiyuan and if so how? Furthermore, is there any overnight accommodations nearby?

George

Terrific news and post as I was planning to look for this species in April. Does anyone know if the Xuanzhong Temple can can be reached by public bus from Taiyuan and if so how? Furthermore, is there any overnight accommodations nearby?

George

Hi George,

Looking at google earth, Xuanzhong is a big town and yes, it does have accommodation. Ming Li might correct me here, but the temple is only 5-10km out of town.
Getting to Xuanzhong using bus is no problem from Taiyuan.

It's a long way to the middle of nowhere for that bird! Though I guess if you are planning to see Crested Ibis and go to Beijing area it can be kinda done on the way?!

James

Hi George,

Looking at google earth, Xuanzhong is a big town and yes, it does have accommodation. Ming Li might correct me here, but the temple is only 5-10km out of town.
Getting to Xuanzhong using bus is no problem from Taiyuan.

It's a long way to the middle of nowhere for that bird! Though I guess if you are planning to see Crested Ibis and go to Beijing area it can be kinda done on the way?!

James
Hi James and George
Xuanzhong is not the name of the town. It's just a temple. The town you see in google is JiaoCheng (交城). you can take a bus or train from Taiyuan to Jiaocheng then taxi to XuanZhong Temple(called XuanZhongSi 玄中寺 in chinese).
Good luck!

Time to bump this thread. The info shared by Li Ming was worthy. Everyone knows what can be achieved @ this site. Winter was it worse
@ -20 degrees but the scene of winter adds the spice.

Below are some starters....

Attachments

• rosefinch,long_tailed_001.jpg
    rosefinch,long_tailed_001.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 117
  • rosefinch,long_tailed_002.jpg
    rosefinch,long_tailed_002.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 134
  • rosefinch,long_tailed_006.jpg
    rosefinch,long_tailed_006.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 91
  • rosefinch,long_tailed_005.jpg
    rosefinch,long_tailed_005.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 88
off late, i have been killing myself with the work and i could not think of anyother species that can be a stress buster. China being the region with great diversity for the game birds, this was a perfect bird to wrap up 2012.(Goldcrest came up a bit late)

Tha game begins.........

Happy new year folks. Wish you many more lifers in your respective patches.

Attachments

• pheasant,brown_eared_004.jpg
    pheasant,brown_eared_004.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 117
  • pheasant,brown_eared_006.jpg
    pheasant,brown_eared_006.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 103
  • pheasant,brown_eared_008.jpg
    pheasant,brown_eared_008.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 118
  • pheasant,brown_eared_012.jpg
    pheasant,brown_eared_012.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 114
  • pheasant,brown_eared_014.jpg
    pheasant,brown_eared_014.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 120
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back