Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 6th July 2004, 21:54   #1
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Question Field sketching/painting/illustration, etc

I am not entirely certain where to put this thread, so I have put it here. If this is the wrong place, feel free to shift it! It doesn't seem to fit anywhere else...

I was wondering, does anyone on this form practise bird art, whether field sketches or full blown paintings, etc?

I like drawing, and would like to add drawings, etc, to notes, but I always seem to give up, due to lack of confidence in them! Funnily enough, I am not that bad at art, and got an O Level in it at school (top grade). I guess it may just be a confidence thing. So, as someone who would like to be better at drawing I would like to hear from others who sketch and paint, or attempt to...

Also, I have considered, in the past, getting into natural history illustration so again, would like to hear from anybody in that field. I still consider it from time to time, but cannot afford to give up the day job!
Old Tuesday 6th July 2004, 22:53   #2
KC Foggin
Super Moderator

Hi Faith! A search in our gallery will uncover a tremendous amount of sketches and artwork done by our talented members. Just below the gallery photos, there will be different categories. Scroll down til you get to "artwork/graphics" and just click on that.

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 6th July 2004, 23:12   #3
Andy Bright
Administrator

Hi Faith, there seems to be growing interest in wildlife art/illustration and we'll give some though to creating a new forum for this.... be a nice antidote to the dominance of photography on here.
regards,
Andy

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 7th July 2004, 00:04   #4
Edward woodwood

Hi there Faith

yes I draw and paint

line drawings in black and white (using rotring pens etc) and paint using watercolours and gouache

i try to sketch when i'm ut inthe field especially if i see something unusual.

I have a bit of talent but need to learn the techniques better. That is, i can draw and get proportions correct etc but sometimes my painting technique is a bit poor - i often 'overpaint' and am not natural enough......thinjk i take to much time rather than having a glass of wine and letting it flow
Old Wednesday 7th July 2004, 07:47   #5
very boring banned member

I sketch & draw. Because of that, one mystery bird I saw was identified here on Birdforum:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=12574
Old Wednesday 7th July 2004, 08:18   #6
mike coleman
BF Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bright
Hi Faith, there seems to be growing interest in wildlife art/illustration and we'll give some though to creating a new forum for this.... be a nice antidote to the dominance of photography on here.
regards,
Andy
Hi Andy
This sounds like a good idea. Not that I'm anti-photography!

Hi Faith
Like everybody else, I dabble in the area, but don't feel qualified to give out much advice. However, easier said than done I appreciate, confidence in the quality of the painting isn't the issue, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! It's the confidence in finishing it and the confidence of keeping on going and continuing with new ones in your own style that is important.
Old Wednesday 7th July 2004, 09:18   #7
Tanny
Registered Member

Hi Faith, I enjoy painting birds and animals, unfortunately I have never had an art lesson in my life but still manage to paint a bird to look like the real thing. I use Acrelics. Some examples are in my gallery, let me know what you think. Tanny
Old Wednesday 7th July 2004, 18:21   #8
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Thanks for the replies people, much appreciated. Andy, I would love to see a dedicated art section on here, that would be fantastic.
I will certainly be scrolling through the Gallery over the coming evenings and weekend.
Old Thursday 8th July 2004, 08:39   #9
Woody

Hi Faith, I can't escape the day job either, but it wont stop me trying!

I'd love to see a bird art forum here too, maybe if there's enough interest how about an art comp, along the same lines as the photo comps?

As to confidence, go to any exhibitions you can, sometimes I find that I look at the work on display and think "I'll get me coat" other times it's just inspiring, and others I'll look and think "I can do that!" Whatever my reaction it's all grist for the mill and I think it keeps me experimenting and hopefully improving.

Keep creating and I'd love to see some examples in the gallery.

Woody
Old Thursday 8th July 2004, 09:04   #10
geedub

Hello Faith, nice to hear from a fellow artist!

I've been told by people who are in the know that drawing and painting is like playing a musical instrument - you've got to practice every day to keep your hand in and I've always followed this advice wherever possible in the six months that I've been painting seriously. When you look back at old samples of work you will see a marked improvement in quality as time goes by, even if you only put in an hour a day.

I spoke to a famous wildlife artist recently and when I said that I hoped my work would someday be as good as his, he showed me the first painting he ever did and then another painting done 12 months later - the difference between the two was amazing.

Don't be disheartened if your work doesn't turn out as well as you hoped (I've always thought that every painting I've done could have been done better, with hindsight!) - learn from the experience and proceed to the next one. Hope to see some samples of your work in BF soon.

geedub
Old Thursday 8th July 2004, 18:57   #11
pete1950

Can drawing and painting be learned, or taught to someone from scratch, or does it emanate from a natural talent and nurtured to maturity?
Old Thursday 8th July 2004, 19:22   #12
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

A bit of both, I think, Pete. I have always been good at drawing, but it does have to be learned as well. And lots of practice, too. That is something I am going to be rectifying over the coming months, as I am well out of practice!
Old Thursday 8th July 2004, 23:41   #13
Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1950
Can drawing and painting be learned, or taught to someone from scratch, or does it emanate from a natural talent and nurtured to maturity?
I've always maintained that you can teach anyone to draw provided they are willing to learn. Drawing is essentially a mechanical process so once the 'rules' are grasped drawing can be pretty straightforward.

However what you cannot do is to teach somebody to be creative. Creativity involves breaking the rules at times or following at others, it involves finding your own way an I think that stems from inate ability and this can be encouraged but not taught.

Just my interpretation though!

Woody
Old Friday 9th July 2004, 19:05   #14
pete1950

Thanks Faith & Woody.

I'm a little long in the tooth now, also Im disabled so I have plenty of time on my hands; I have always had an interest in art, although I hold a preference in writing to sate my frustrated ambitions.

One of my sons is an accomplished artist but is moody with it so he won't share his talent, however Serif UK have a CD on offer that they claim holds about a years worth of art lessons, as it's only 9.99 I might give it a go.

No! Think positive, I will give it a go.
Old Friday 9th July 2004, 22:23   #15
mike coleman
BF Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1950

No! Think positive, I will give it a go.
Good for you Pete!
I agree with Woody, anybody can do the art, it's the creativity and inspiration and practice that folk can't or won't do.
Just keep practising and don't get down if things start slowly......
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: