Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 28th March 2011, 16:53   #1
Sancho
Adrift

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 7,657
Anyone heard from Kay Optical recently?

Kay Optical in Morden are a reputable optics outfit, sales and service included. I ordered something from them in early March, and paid by CC, but it hasn´t arrived, and since then any attempt to contact them has proved fruitless - by phone, email or fax. There is a definitie Marie Celeste feel to this; has anyone had contact with them during March? Many thanks.
Sancho is offline  
Reply With Quote
BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Monday 28th March 2011, 17:40   #2
brocknroller
confessed porromaniac

 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Borscht Belt
Posts: 4,254
Sancho,

Perhaps J. Habakuk Jepson knows what happened. :-)

Kay has a used 12x50 SE for $959, which is no bargain, at least on this side of the pond. Better off with that cheaper-than-US-price new 10x42 SE at Clifton Camera, mentioned on the Nikon forum.

Did you use a credit card? Was it charged? If so, it's time to contact your credit card company and ask for a chargeback before your money disappears along with everything else on the "ghost ship".

Brock
__________________
Ringo in top form during interview (after George Harrison speaks):

Ringo interviewed
brocknroller is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 28th March 2011, 17:47   #3
Larry Lade
Super Moderator
 
Larry Lade's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint Joseph, Missouri, USA
Posts: 13,279
Blog Entries: 1
Sounds like these guys might be like Mr. Potter in "Pottersville", eh!

Don't mean to may light of your situation. Hope you get everything sorted!
__________________
Larry
205 -
this year's total for Missouri Birds, 2014
47 -
this year's total for Yard Birds, 2014
Larry Lade is offline  
Reply With Quote
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Monday 28th March 2011, 21:02   #4
Sancho
Adrift

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 7,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocknroller View Post
Sancho,

Perhaps J. Habakuk Jepson knows what happened. :-)

Brock
! I just re-read the JHJ´s account online, and wondered if perhaps the old lady was about to rummage in her skirts and present to him, not the ear-shaped meteor-stone, but the Swarovski Astro-Adapter I ordered from Kay...
Sancho is offline  
Reply With Quote
BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Tuesday 29th March 2011, 16:06   #5
Perry Grin
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
Kay Optical in Morden are a reputable optics outfit, sales and service included. I ordered something from them in early March, and paid by CC, but it hasn´t arrived, and since then any attempt to contact them has proved fruitless - by phone, email or fax. There is a definitie Marie Celeste feel to this; has anyone had contact with them during March? Many thanks.
Hi Sancho,

I ordered a binocular strap from Kay recently and had a bit of trouble getting contact when it hadn't arrived after a week. Phone messages and emails were ignored and when I eventually got through he said he would look in to it. Nothing happened for a few days, more messages were ignored. I eventually got through a second time when he said the order had got 'missed'. I received the strap a few days later.

Something seems to be amiss - my understanding was that Kay had a very good reputation.......

Let us now how you get on.
Perry Grin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 29th March 2011, 16:12   #6
Sancho
Adrift

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 7,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Grin View Post
Hi Sancho,

I ordered a binocular strap from Kay recently and had a bit of trouble getting contact when it hadn't arrived after a week. Phone messages and emails were ignored and when I eventually got through he said he would look in to it. Nothing happened for a few days, more messages were ignored. I eventually got through a second time when he said the order had got 'missed'. I received the strap a few days later.

Something seems to be amiss - my understanding was that Kay had a very good reputation.......

Let us now how you get on.


Thanks Perry, someone I know here in Ireland had a similar experience recently with Kay. As you said, they had a great reputation, so I imagine there´s "Trouble at ´Mill". I hope everyone there is well, my measly adapter is not an issue compared to business, health or other issues that might be causing problems at the company.

Last edited by Sancho : Tuesday 29th March 2011 at 21:15.
Sancho is offline  
Reply With Quote
BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Tuesday 29th March 2011, 19:24   #7
flossiepip
Registered User
 
flossiepip's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: northland
Posts: 23,102
Hi Sancho,
You may be right in what you say but I think a business stands and falls by its service to customers, that has to be the bottom line for any business. So your order does count! As an example I ordered a set of binoculars from cameralandny, very easy and smooth, New York to New Zealand from order in six days! Tom
flossiepip is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 30th March 2011, 15:16   #8
pete_gamby
Birds? What Birds?!

 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Welwyn Garden City
Posts: 539
Sancho - we've had email communication with Tony as recently as yesterday.

Cheers, Pete
__________________
Pete Gamby
Sales & Marketing Manager - Opticron
pete_gamby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 30th March 2011, 19:22   #9
Sancho
Adrift

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 7,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_gamby View Post
Sancho - we've had email communication with Tony as recently as yesterday.

Cheers, Pete

Really? Thanks for that, Pete.
Sancho is offline  
Reply With Quote
BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Thursday 31st March 2011, 10:25   #10
ingle1970
Registered User
 
ingle1970's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: GB
Posts: 633
Wouldn't touch Kay Optical with a barge pole...
__________________


'You have rightly chosen,' said God, 'for in my garden of Paradise this little bird shall sing for evermore, and in my city of gold the Happy Prince shall praise me'.
ingle1970 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 31st March 2011, 11:27   #11
Andrew Rowlands
Registered User
 
Andrew Rowlands's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wales.
Posts: 5,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingle1970 View Post
Wouldn't touch Kay Optical with a barge pole...
Any reason for that?
Andrew Rowlands is offline  
Reply With Quote
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Thursday 31st March 2011, 13:22   #12
ingle1970
Registered User
 
ingle1970's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: GB
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Rowlands View Post
Any reason for that?
I returned an item to them and noticed on my following statement i had not been reimbursed, so had then to chase them up about it, very shabby as far as i am concerned...
__________________


'You have rightly chosen,' said God, 'for in my garden of Paradise this little bird shall sing for evermore, and in my city of gold the Happy Prince shall praise me'.
ingle1970 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 31st March 2011, 16:20   #13
LeeJohnson
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Surrey
Posts: 19
I live close so able to go into the 'shop' but I have always had good service!
LeeJohnson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 31st March 2011, 16:45   #14
black kite 1964
Registered Member

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: bedfordshire
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingle1970 View Post
I returned an item to them and noticed on my following statement i had not been reimbursed, so had then to chase them up about it, very shabby as far as i am concerned...
ditto. My experience of their Admin was pretty poor. They sent me the same eyepiece twice. Later I had to send them a copy of a bank statement to prove that I had paid for the scope!! Would not buy anything from these guys again.

Last edited by black kite 1964 : Thursday 31st March 2011 at 16:49.
black kite 1964 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 1st April 2011, 15:14   #15
Perry Grin
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
Thanks Perry, someone I know here in Ireland had a similar experience recently with Kay. As you said, they had a great reputation, so I imagine there´s "Trouble at ´Mill". I hope everyone there is well, my measly adapter is not an issue compared to business, health or other issues that might be causing problems at the company.
I wouldn't say it wasn't an issue, if they've taken money for an order they have an obligation to fulfil it - you are far too kind and understanding! What ever the reason a little bit of communication and good customer service wouldn't go amiss anyway. Keep chasing them, and if you can see if you can stop/recall the payment.

Perry
Perry Grin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 1st April 2011, 15:41   #16
Sancho
Adrift

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 7,657
Thanks Perry. Finally got through to them today by phone, they said they´d look into it and e-mail me.
Sancho is offline  
Reply With Quote
BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Friday 1st April 2011, 17:02   #17
ingle1970
Registered User
 
ingle1970's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: GB
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
Thanks Perry. Finally got through to them today by phone, they said they´d look into it and e-mail me.
That's the Kay Optical standard response.
It is April 1st dont forget.

__________________


'You have rightly chosen,' said God, 'for in my garden of Paradise this little bird shall sing for evermore, and in my city of gold the Happy Prince shall praise me'.

Last edited by ingle1970 : Friday 1st April 2011 at 17:06.
ingle1970 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 4th April 2011, 22:05   #18
tom24
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 362
Is it not just a one man business?

I've never had a problem with them, by mail, phone or in person.
Visited once.

Spoke on the phone last month and had a documentary response in the post next day.
tom24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 7th April 2011, 20:15   #19
Sancho
Adrift

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 7,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom24 View Post
Is it not just a one man business?

I've never had a problem with them, by mail, phone or in person.
Visited once.

Spoke on the phone last month and had a documentary response in the post next day.
Yes, Tom, I get the impression it´s a staff of one. Still haven´t got my adapter, mind you, and they never "got back" to me. Not holding my breath.
__________________
"Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats" (Voltaire)
Sancho is offline  
Reply With Quote
BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Friday 8th April 2011, 17:45   #20
skutchia
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: paris
Posts: 20
but what's the alternative in London ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossiepip View Post
Hi Sancho,
You may be right in what you say but I think a business stands and falls by its service to customers, that has to be the bottom line for any business. So your order does count! As an example I ordered a set of binoculars from cameralandny, very easy and smooth, New York to New Zealand from order in six days! Tom
Too right it does. I've actually enjoyed going to the shop in Morden over the years and it pains me to say I wont go again following yet another, pretty major, problem with an order recently. I dont know what's going on there but standards have fallen. The obvious follow-on question though is : what is the best alternative in London these days to getting a stiff focus wheel fixed ??? Anyone got any advice ?
Thanks ,
David Thorns
www.skutchia.com
skutchia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 8th April 2011, 19:27   #21
ingle1970
Registered User
 
ingle1970's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: GB
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutchia View Post
Too right it does. I've actually enjoyed going to the shop in Morden over the years and it pains me to say I wont go again following yet another, pretty major, problem with an order recently. I dont know what's going on there but standards have fallen. The obvious follow-on question though is : what is the best alternative in London these days to getting a stiff focus wheel fixed ??? Anyone got any advice ?
Thanks ,
David Thorns
www.skutchia.com
Hello David

Have you tried getting in touch with the manufacturer of your optic?...
__________________


'You have rightly chosen,' said God, 'for in my garden of Paradise this little bird shall sing for evermore, and in my city of gold the Happy Prince shall praise me'.
ingle1970 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 9th April 2011, 02:13   #22
Grousemore
Senior Member
 
Grousemore's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 3,578
What a shame, back in the day I bought a lot of stuff there, visiting the site in person; still using the scope and tripod I bought there 12 years ago.
My guess would be that they've fallen foul of the usual trend these days for trying out all the gear in the retail store and then buying online to save a few bucks...
__________________

Grousemore is offline  
Reply With Quote
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Saturday 9th April 2011, 07:42   #23
Squonk
Major dude

 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Yorkshire.
Posts: 140
Didn't the problems start when the original Mr. Kay left a few years ago? I think this is where he is now:
http://www.opticalrepairs.com/
Squonk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 10th April 2011, 06:56   #24
skutchia
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: paris
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squonk View Post
Didn't the problems start when the original Mr. Kay left a few years ago? I think this is where he is now:
http://www.opticalrepairs.com/
Hi - yes you're probably right - i think one person has just got too much stuff to do and remember....nice problem to have anyway!
Anyway this is good information - thanks !
David
skutchia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kay optic a shop too avoid Ian M Spotting Scopes & tripod/heads 40 Monday 9th September 2013 14:00
Big thanx to Kay Optical for binoculars oldbaldman Binoculars 19 Thursday 18th January 2007 08:56
Recently salar53 Say Hello 16 Monday 23rd October 2006 04:43
Hello from Kay -stones throw from Point Pelee kaypros Say Hello 7 Friday 8th April 2005 16:02

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Search the net with ask.com
Help support BirdForum
Ask.com and get

Page generated in 0.25732803 seconds with 33 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 00:23.