Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 5th January 2012, 19:08   #51
Sandra (Taylor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Knight View Post
Hi Sandra - I saw Tsalis were a recommended link on Steve's website but it seems you have to request the car you want before seeing a price which makes comparison with other suppliers very difficult. Steve's website suggests 224 less 15% for a 7 day hire but the same car seems to be only 124 from "economy car hire". Wondered if there might be hidden extras but their website says;

Not just a cheap price!
Unlike other car hire brokers, our prices always include full Collision Damage Waiver with No Insurance Excess to pay in the event of Collision Damage or Theft.

5% Online Discount
FREE Additional Driver
Full Collision Damage Waiver
Full Theft Waiver
No Insurance Excess

Tony
A friend who went with Economy Cars had one that was a few years old. It looked tatty but they were happy with it as it was pretty cheap. It ran OK but the door took a bit of slamming to shut it - just minor points! Although our car was almost brand new when we received it, it looked a bit sandy/dusty when we returned it.

"Unlike other car hire brokers" : in our experience the 5 items on the list above are always included in the hire. If not, make sure they are.

For the past 3 years or so we've hired from Billy's in Petra but because Tsalis is recommended by Steve, and is in Skala Kalloni we will try them this year. And they were so professional and polite when we told them last year we were going with Billy's. If you want to compare prices just email 3 or 4 car hire companies and ask them their best price for a Group A or whatever you need, and quote those additions above. They'll send you a price - and you can choose which you want. Simples! We always have the car delivered to our hotel the morning after we arrive.

Hope you make a good decision

Sandra

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Thursday 5th January 2012, 20:17   #52
Tony Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra (Taylor) View Post
A friend who went with Economy Cars had one that was a few years old. It looked tatty but they were happy with it as it was pretty cheap. It ran OK but the door took a bit of slamming to shut it - just minor points! Although our car was almost brand new when we received it, it looked a bit sandy/dusty when we returned it.

"Unlike other car hire brokers" : in our experience the 5 items on the list above are always included in the hire. If not, make sure they are.

For the past 3 years or so we've hired from Billy's in Petra but because Tsalis is recommended by Steve, and is in Skala Kalloni we will try them this year. And they were so professional and polite when we told them last year we were going with Billy's. If you want to compare prices just email 3 or 4 car hire companies and ask them their best price for a Group A or whatever you need, and quote those additions above. They'll send you a price - and you can choose which you want. Simples! We always have the car delivered to our hotel the morning after we arrive.

Hope you make a good decision

Sandra
Hi Sandra

yes i used a web comparison site to find the cheapest options which is how i came up with economy car hire. Didnt like the look of the very cheapest, economy car hire were the second cheapest... I'd prefer to use tsalis but at about 60 more expensive over a week its difficult to justify. I've asked them if they can get close/closer to the other quote and if they do I will go with them.

Tony

Last edited by Tony Knight : Thursday 5th January 2012 at 20:30.
Old Friday 13th January 2012, 18:41   #53
Steve Dudley
aka The Toadsnatcher

Spring update - flights and day trips

Thomas Cook
I spoke with Thomas Cook today and they are happy with the response from birders to the two special early birder flights they've put on. They wouldn't give me a figure for bums on seats booked, but bookings are good. Lets get those plane filled and give them the message we want them for 2013 too!

Day trips
My day trips are booking up. Only a handful of places left during the first two weeks (22 Apr to 4 May) but plenty of places still remaining from 6 - 18 May.

Boat trips
I've been trying again to set up some boat trips along the north coast to look for shearwaters, Audouin's Gull, dolphins and Monk Seal. Unfortunately I've not been able to progress this but will try again before we head out there.
BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
Old Tuesday 17th January 2012, 16:52   #54
Mick Sway

Lesvos 5 May 2012 - Manchester

Called in at Thomas Cook Macclesfield yesterday, the girl on the terminal
said that there was no availability from Manchester from 5 May.
Strangely she also said there was nothing showing (even as fully booked) from Man'y on the 5th May, the first flight was showing as 12 May .
Unless there's some late change on Thomas Cook's part, looks like we'll be skipping this year.
Couldn't book until my & T's 2012 holidays were confirmed at work this month.
Good luck everyone though.
Ten years of Lesvos record shots.
BF Supporter 2012
Old Friday 20th January 2012, 18:55   #55
Tony Knight

Does anyone know if the road opposite the plantania road (ie "the mavria track", the road with the masts ?) is driveable in a normal car ? If so it looks like I might be able to get to plantania more quickly from Molivos using this road from near Kapi, as opposed to using the petra/kalloni road, kremastes and then coming up from Napi.

Last edited by Tony Knight : Saturday 21st January 2012 at 07:35.
Old Friday 17th February 2012, 08:40   #56
dwatsonbirder
Norfolk exile

Hello,

I'm planning on visiting Lesvos w/c 21st May for a fortnight. I have been unable to find any flights at this time, even on the Thomas Cook website. Does anybody have an suggestions? Hoping to B&B it whilst driving around the island, my partner isnt much of a birder but Ill be able to fit in a few mornings birding.

Twitter: @Dwatsonbirder
Old Friday 17th February 2012, 17:36   #57
Steve Dudley
aka The Toadsnatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatsonbirder View Post
Hello,

I'm planning on visiting Lesvos w/c 21st May for a fortnight. I have been unable to find any flights at this time, even on the Thomas Cook website. Does anybody have an suggestions? Hoping to B&B it whilst driving around the island, my partner isnt much of a birder but Ill be able to fit in a few mornings birding.
Just checked the Thomas Cook website and it gave me 20+ options for flight + accommodation departing 21 May from 297 pp (self-catering) or from 329 pp (hotel). All appear to be ex-Gatwick.

If you can't get flight only from TC then you can always try via Athens which can be reach from a few UK airports and then Aegean/Olympic on to Lesvos.
Old Saturday 18th February 2012, 15:40   #58
dwatsonbirder
Norfolk exile

Thanks for the reply Steve, sorry to be a pain but is that a package deal for 297? I cant seem to find details, I'm just not that great at finding these things online!

Old Saturday 18th February 2012, 15:44   #59
Sandra (Taylor)

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Steve, sorry to be a pain but is that a package deal for 297? I cant seem to find details, I'm just not that great at finding these things online!
That's for flight + self-catering accommodation and the second amount is for flight + hotel, Daniel

Sandra
Old Saturday 18th February 2012, 17:39   #60
dwatsonbirder
Norfolk exile

Thanks for that, I had gathered that myself! I meant what self-catering accommodation is it for this price? The hotel Pasiphae, Aegeon Hotel or Kalloni Bay Hotel?

Old Sunday 19th February 2012, 16:24   #61
Sandra (Taylor)

Quote:
Thanks for that, I had gathered that myself! I meant what self-catering accommodation is it for this price? The hotel Pasiphae, Aegeon Hotel or Kalloni Bay Hotel?

If it happens to be the Aegeon I can recommend that hotel. We've stayed there many times on a B&B basis but the s/c appartments look fine too.

Hope you manage to get there

S
Old Monday 20th February 2012, 11:34   #62
Steve Dudley
aka The Toadsnatcher

Sandra, thanks for answering Daniel's queries.

Daniel, look at http://tinyurl.com/862gv7m (not sure if this search will be time sensitive) - it already looks different to what I viewed last week, but with these charter company's sites are constantly changing.
Old Friday 24th February 2012, 20:12   #63
Mick Sway

Lesvos Flights from Manchester 05/05 Main Resorts

Although Thomas Cook is showing no availability to the main resorts from Manchester on the 5th May , I understand that there may be a way around booking on the web site, which is only showing The Aeolian Village, Eressos at the moment.
If anyone is interested in a late booking, PM me for contact details.
Regards
Mick
Ten years of Lesvos record shots.
BF Supporter 2012
Old Wednesday 7th March 2012, 16:10   #64
Tony Knight

I will be visiting the island 12/5 to 19/5 and have 3 species-specific questions;

Kruipers nuthatch
I guess the birds will have left the nest by then so what are my prospects of still finding the birds in the Achladeri area ? I missed seeing this species on my only other visit to the island so really want to make sure i see it this time !

rosy starlings
I believe they will be just starting to arrive as i leave and that they are primarily found in mulberry bushes. Other than a bush apparently by the ford over the east river near the saltpans are there any other likely bushes i should try on the 18th/19th ?

scops owl
I gather there are quite a few trees at the scops copse. unless I'm lucky and there is someone else on the birds when i get to the site, what is the best way of telling which trees they are roosting in ? Is the tree marked ? Is the exact tree described on Steve's website ?

thanks
Tony

Last edited by Tony Knight : Wednesday 7th March 2012 at 16:18.
Old Wednesday 7th March 2012, 20:38   #65
Steve Dudley
aka The Toadsnatcher

Tony, to answer your queries -

Quote:
Kruipers nuthatch
I guess the birds will have left the nest by then so what are my prospects of still finding the birds in the Achladeri area ? I missed seeing this species on my only other visit to the island so really want to make sure i see it this time !
Not necessarily, but even if they have, they're not hard to find at the main Kofinas (picnic) site at Achladeri or eslewhere.

Quote:
rosy starlings
I believe they will be just starting to arrive as i leave and that they are primarily found in mulberry bushes. Other than a bush apparently by the ford over the east river near the saltpans are there any other likely bushes i should try on the 18th/19th ?
The week you're there usually sees the first birds. They came in from 13 May in 2011. They can pop up anywhere but the Mulberry trees around Tsiknias and Lotzaria (between Tsiknias ford and Kalloni pans) are pretty reliable.

Quote:
scops owl
I gather there are quite a few trees at the scops copse. unless I'm lucky and there is someone else on the birds when i get to the site, what is the best way of telling which trees they are roosting in ? Is the tree marked ? Is the exact tree described on Steve's website ?
I usually post details of which tree(s) the bird(s) is/are using on my website. Details will also be in my log at the Hotel Pasiphae.

I'm on the island until 19 May and I'll share everything I can on all of the above online and in my log(s).
Old Thursday 8th March 2012, 06:17   #66
Tony Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dudley View Post
Tony, to answer your queries -

Not necessarily, but even if they have, they're not hard to find at the main Kofinas (picnic) site at Achladeri or eslewhere.

The week you're there usually sees the first birds. They came in from 13 May in 2011. They can pop up anywhere but the Mulberry trees around Tsiknias and Lotzaria (between Tsiknias ford and Kalloni pans) are pretty reliable.

I usually post details of which tree(s) the bird(s) is/are using on my website. Details will also be in my log at the Hotel Pasiphae.

I'm on the island until 19 May and I'll share everything I can on all of the above online and in my log(s).
Cheers Steve. I spent hours walking round achladeri picnic site 5 years ago in mid May with no luck. Hopefully better luck this time !

Tony
Old Thursday 8th March 2012, 11:50   #67
Steve Dudley
aka The Toadsnatcher

Quote:
Cheers Steve. I spent hours walking round achladeri picnic site 5 years ago in mid May with no luck. Hopefully better luck this time !

Tony
Kruper's is NOT a rare bird. The forest is full of them (over 600 pairs breed, so add their young and thats lots of family parties flitting around). Try the track down to the river and army camp, try Pessa Falls, try Agiasos - plenty of known sites plus plenty more forest to walk through looking. In my experience if they're around you'll hear them. Don't just focus on the very small area od woodland at the picnic site.
Old Thursday 8th March 2012, 12:50   #68
Tony Knight

I appreciate there are plenty around but its more a case of maximising limited time. It's not just a birding holiday and so my birding time will be limited to 4-5 early mornings, ...AND I'm based in Molyvos (part of the deal with Mrs K!!).

In order to cover 1./ Kalloni salt pans and river, 2./napi valley, 3./kavaki & petra track, 4./ plantania, I'll probably only have one trip of 2-3 hrs to dedicate to looking for KN over the week. As last time I'll check the picnic site and tracks leading away from the road and just assume i was unlucky last time. Doubt we'll be going to Agiasos but might add it to our itinerary if I miss KN at Achladeri !

ps covering ipsilou, feneromeni/sigri as a family day-trip !

Tony

Last edited by Tony Knight : Thursday 8th March 2012 at 14:05.
Old Friday 16th March 2012, 19:09   #69
Steve Dudley
aka The Toadsnatcher

The first summer migrants beginning to arrive on Lesvos including the first Glossy Ibis today. Updates as usual at www.lesvosbirding.com.
Old Thursday 29th March 2012, 14:17   #70
Steve Dudley
aka The Toadsnatcher

I've started to add more updates to the Lesvos Birding website. Current one includes some news on water levels and a few more spring migrants trickling in. Polichnitos Saltpans is still the only site being covered until birders arrive next month.

The first birders I know of arrive on 3 Apr, with the first tour group from the 15 Apr and the first UK charter flight on the 21 Apr. I'll continue to add news updates to the website when I hear from folk on the island until I get out there on 21 Apr.
Old Thursday 29th March 2012, 22:35   #71
Kev23
Woodlarks DO exist...

Cheers Steve, reading regular updates just adds to the excitement!
Old Friday 6th April 2012, 15:13   #72
Steve Dudley
aka The Toadsnatcher

Migrants still only trickling in through the east of the island (the only areas I'm getting records from at present) - see www.lesvosbirding.com for continued updates. I'll aim to add any new sightings daily from now on.

Water levels are OK. Season pools in many areas but we need more rain in coming weeks to keep them topped up for the main arrival of birders from 21 April. I know there's been some significant rainfall the last couple of days.
Old Thursday 12th April 2012, 15:36   #73
Steve Dudley
aka The Toadsnatcher

I've just spoken to Thomas Cook and they tell me both the 21 April and 28 April early spring birder flights are now full. That's great news and a great response from you guys.

Because of this good response they've already scheduled flights/packages for the respective weeks in 2013 (20 Apr and 27 Apr) which is also great news as it secures our early spring flights for at least one more year. The message is simple from TC - fill one years flights and they'll put them on the following year.
Old Sunday 15th April 2012, 17:08   #74
Steve Dudley
aka The Toadsnatcher

If you're coming out to Lesvos this spring, news sharing info on the Lesvos Birding website here.
Old Wednesday 18th April 2012, 04:45   #75
Dimitris
Birdwatcher in Oz

I've been informed that there was a Menerites Warbler on the 12/04/2012... First for Greece and Europe?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: