Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 11th April 2011, 16:05   #1
birdazzLED

3D view porro

I have a few pairs of porro bins including the Zeiss Oberkochen but I really never noticed much of a 3D effect until the other day when I was looking through my M3 6x30 Nash-Kelvinator. The 3D effect is so pronounced it made my eyes feel funny - not in the way of being uncollimated though. The bins are in excellent shape with bright and very sharp images. Is it the reticule (or reticle?) that is adding to the effect or what?

I have to say, I do like the effect and have a growing interest in porro bins now.

Last edited by birdazzLED : Monday 11th April 2011 at 19:33.
Old Monday 11th April 2011, 19:31   #2
elkcub

Basically, the 3D effect (stereo perception) increases with retinal offset and as magnification decreases ó 6x being rather low in the scheme of things. In part, this is because lower magnification produces greater perceived depth of field. Stereopsis also improves with a larger field of view because more monocular distance cues are included in the scene. I doubt that the presence of a reticule enhances the effect, but it is conceivable if the reticule provides a distance reference. If the reticule can be removed you might try it either way, but personally I find them annoying.

Ed
BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Monday 11th April 2011, 21:17   #3
brocknroller
confessed porromaniac

I know exactly what you mean about the 6x30 Nash-Rambler making your eyes "feel funny". The Fuji 6x30 FMT did the same thing to me.

When I was youngin', back in the pre-digital era, we had a thingie called the Viewmaster, which looked somewhat like binoculars. In the first model, you inserted a rectangular card with double slides, and later they developed a model that used a circular card with slides that acted as sort of like a slide projector carousel.

The Viewmaster slides had an exaggerated 3-D effect that reminded me of the 6x30 Fuji.

Here's an example of one:
http://www.comingsoon.net/nextraimag...astermovie.jpg

Despite the super 3-D effect and very good depth of field, I still had to fiddle with the IF EPs more than I used to when I had my first pair due to deteriorating focus accommodation, so I ended up selling them. I have a shoe with the words "Fuji 6x30" printed on it, and every time I looked through the 8x32 LX and was disappointed with it's 2-D views, I'd take out that shoe and give myself a swift kick. :-)

Brock
Old Monday 11th April 2011, 21:44   #4
Sancho
Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocknroller View Post
When I was youngin', back in the pre-digital era, we had a thingie called the Viewmaster, which looked somewhat like binoculars. In the first model, you inserted a rectangular card with double slides, and later they developed a model that used a circular card with slides that acted as sort of like a slide projector carousel.

...Brock
Snap! I got a Viewmaster for Christmas about forty years ago. Like the one in this picture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View-Master
Much better than all this digital-era stuff. But binoculars that have the same "exaggerated" 3D sound awful - almost as bad as having to watch that dumb "Avatar" movie.
BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Monday 11th April 2011, 22:58   #5
mooreorless

Sancho, We have a Viewmaster almost exactly like that one. I found the views excellent in them. Old color film.
Old Tuesday 12th April 2011, 05:37   #6
ronh

"Mamma don't take my Kodachrome..."
Paul Simon, no spring chicken himself, said that.

The 6x30 FMT is right strong in this department. Thanks, Ed, for the thought about greater DOF at 6x having something to do with it.
Ron
Old Wednesday 13th April 2011, 10:10   #7
birdazzLED

hehe, I had a viewmaster as well. I also had (think I still have) a battery operated "viewmaster" automotive racing game.

One of the EP focus turns too easily. Maybe it needs grease or something......

Thanks for the 3D info. Still wondering about the funny eyes though.

Last edited by birdazzLED : Wednesday 13th April 2011 at 10:18.
Old Thursday 14th April 2011, 14:26   #8
John S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdazzLED View Post
I have a few pairs of porro bins including the Zeiss Oberkochen but I really never noticed much of a 3D effect until the other day when I was looking through my M3 6x30 Nash-Kelvinator. The 3D effect is so pronounced it made my eyes feel funny - not in the way of being uncollimated though. The bins are in excellent shape with bright and very sharp images. Is it the reticule (or reticle?) that is adding to the effect or what?

I have to say, I do like the effect and have a growing interest in porro bins now.
Yup. That's one of several reasons I have far more porro than roof prism bins.
My 6x30 Swarovski Habichts give a delightful 3d view followed cloely by Nikon 8x30 EII and Unitron (Vixen) 8x32.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: