Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 30th April 2011, 14:58   #1
marion1302

coot egg

HIya , i dont know if its the right place to ask this question but i need some advice what to do ..

My son took an egg of some stupid kids who were throwing other eggs around they took out of a nest.. after he fetched the egg home i put it in a box with a lamp over it too keep the temperature around 99f .. after a research on internet i found out it is an coot egg .. has anybody here an advise what to do and if it be possible that it will hatch ?

marion

Old Tuesday 10th May 2011, 11:46   #2
marion1302

ok ,its me again.. today when i was turning the egg i could hear it peeping inside .. does anybody knows what to do when it hatches.. or what i have too feed ?
Old Wednesday 11th May 2011, 11:26   #3
lashinala

I'd feed it like a parakeet/lovebird if it was me, once it hatches. I see lots of coots here, but have never even thought of how to care for one. Good luck to you.
Old Wednesday 11th May 2011, 12:44   #4
Twite

I have no idea what I'm talking about, so here goes. You could try feeding it in some kind of bathtub by dropping small pieces of food onto the water surface and making a pecking motion with a pencil or pen, maybe white, to resemble the parents beak. I'd guess that at that age insects, their larvae and freshwater shrimp (gammarus) would feature in the diet. Maybe small pieces of freshwater fish would help.

During hatching keep the egg in a humid container to prevent the membrane drying out, if it dries out it will wrap the chick like clingfilm. Don't help it to hatch, it can do more harm than good. Sometimes it can take as long as 24hrs to break free of the egg.

It probably won't need to be fed or watered for the first 24 hours or so,this will give it a chance to dry off and start moving its limbs before introducing it to water.

I wouldn't be too optimistic though, but a better chance than faced earlier.

Would like to hear how it turns out. Good luck.

Twite.

Edit: Don't turn the egg anymore, give the chick a chance to orientate itself for hatching.
BF Supporter 2007
Click here to Support BirdForum
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: