Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 23rd May 2011, 11:34   #1
Vivian Darkbloom

Hide clamps

Has anyone an opinion on, or experience with, 1) The Velbon Delta hide clamp or 2) The Opticron BC -2 hide clamp (the sturdier one)?
I'm particularly interested in the ease of using the head with a 80mm scope.
They are both similarly priced and weight difference is negligible.
Old Monday 23rd May 2011, 17:57   #2
dogbreath

I have not used one with a 'scope, but I have a Velbon Delta that I use with my camera and 400mm lens. The results are pretty good and a lot less fuss than trying to erect a tripod in a hide! I should say, the centre column of my tripod fits the clamp so it makes for a useful accessory to keep in the kit bag.
Old Monday 23rd May 2011, 18:22   #3
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

I use a Velbon Delta hide clamp for my scope, only a GS 52 ED now but until last year it was a Kowa 823 and I have never had a problem with the hide clamp. Because it uses the centre column of the tripod there's no worry about the quick release plate fitting both tripod and hide clamp. I keep it permanently attached to the centre column of the tripod, after leaving it at home a couple of times when I used to keep it in my rucksack.
The only downside to any hide clamp is a flimsy hide shelf and that is something you can't do anything about.
BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009
Click here to Support BirdForum
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: