• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Movement of Red Kite in Wales today (1 Viewer)

gareth_blockley

Smile people
I have just been looking at RBA for records so far today and see the following:

Pembrokeshire - 23 Red kites flew north over Trefaiddan Marsh at 11:00
Pembs - 66 Red kites flew north over Ramsey Island at 11:20

Also this post on Pembrokeshire birds: http://pembsbirds.blogspot.com/2011/06/red-kites-moving.html

Is this kind of movement expected at this time of year? Could these be birds from Europe moving? Also if there are birds moving from Europe cold there be some Black kites in there??

Gareth

Just a guess ;). These are probably returning offspring of the Swedish stock birds that were part of the reintroduction scheme in England/Scotland; the offspring of the birds from the Spanish stock (most of the birds released in Southern England?) are thought to be less likely to partake in major migrations.

Is there that much migration in Red kites then? I knew they moved around a bit a young birds obviously disperse but I'v never heard of active migration and in numbers like this.

This morning from cornwall - 40 Porthgwarra, 6 Trewellard, 2 Sancreed, 1 Marazion and 1Sennen Cove.
Yesterday from cornwall - 22 St Just, 26 Drift, 17 Marazion and several lower numbers too.

Movement like this of Red kite surprised me a bit

Gareth

I've just returned from a couple of days in mid-Wales where, on the summit of Cadair Berwyn (827 metres), I was mildly surprised to see- at this height- three Red Kites heading purposefuly northwards along the line of summits. I didn't see any other Kites in the vicinity. Later I spoke to a warden at RSPB Lake Vyrnwy who said Kites were just beginning to be seen in the area.

Reading about the amazing numbers of Red Kites in south-west Wales & south-west England made me wonder if I'd witnessed some small part of this movement: Or maybe they were just wandering local birds!

Cheers, D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back