Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 3rd June 2011, 19:06   #1
Barred Wobbler

Some Sort of Worm? What is it? Northumberland

The thing that looks like a piece of thread in the photo was writhing around in a puddle on a track in the Cheviot Hills in Northumberland today.

It's about 4 inches long.

Any ideas what it is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0465-copy.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	328698  
Old Friday 3rd June 2011, 19:20   #2
Espen

i found one exactly like this about 3 years ago and hd no idea what it was, so i contacted my mocal nature trust and they helpfully informed me it is a 'gordiid' a type of worm, it lives in water, the larvae however parasite another insect, earwigs and crickets usually being the most common hosts, as the larvae grow the earwig/cricket has an urge to drink, so they go to water where the young gordiids hatch out and the host sadly dies.

here is a link to explain it in further detail:http://bsweb.unl.edu/labs/janovy/ben/info.html

rather interesting!
Old Friday 3rd June 2011, 19:25   #3
Barred Wobbler

Thanks Espen.

I had an idea that it might be some sort of parasite, but I thought it might have had something to do with the sheep that roam the area.

Never seen one before, and I wouldn't have seen this one if a child coming the other way hadn't spotted it wriggling in the pool.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: