Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 10th June 2011, 16:12   #1
sussexbirders
sussexbirders

Question red grouse

hello i was wondering if anyone new any sights for red grouse in north yorkshire beacuse me and my freaind are travelling up for the white throated robin and hope to connectr with some red grouse
Old Friday 10th June 2011, 16:45   #2
Lee Evans

There are Red Grouse on the North Yorkshire Moors but they are pretty hard to come by, especially in June when breeding. There are much more reliable sites in County Durham - especially around Middleton-in-Teesdale, where you are also very likely to see Black Grouse too. Langdon Beck is the locality and view from the road, at the south end by the first cattle grid for the Blacks and then anywhere along the next 3.5 miles for the Reds. Additionally try Tan Hill, just south of the A66 near Barnard's Castle, where again you can find both Black and Red Grouse with some ease.

Otherwise, prime areas are in South Yorkshire - Midhope Moor, Winscar Reservoir and in the Strines area.

On the subject of Black Grouse, a staggering 800 or more birds were located and counted this spring in the Pennines - a terrific achievement for those investing so much time and effort re-establishing the species
Old Friday 10th June 2011, 17:58   #3
Paul Woolnough

Grouse

Thanks Lee

It is best to stay in your car.

A Geordie birder recommended to me the road from Langdon Beck over the fells to St John's Chapel.

Any way Barnard Castle is north of the Scotch Corner Penrith Road (A66).
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: