Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 27th June 2011, 22:23   #176
flossiepip

I must say that I that I have followed this thread with a good deal of interest but can not say that I've really enjoyed it much. To much mutual back slapping and self congratulating for my taste. I suppose I must admit to a pinch of envious jealousy here, as if I could afford to join the Alpha club I would. Now thats a thought why don't all the Alpha owners form a club of your own and the rest of us can join the, China bins are great club!
Old Monday 27th June 2011, 22:53   #177
Sancho
Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossiepip View Post
I must say that I that I have followed this thread with a good deal of interest but can not say that I've really enjoyed it much. To much mutual back slapping and self congratulating for my taste. I suppose I must admit to a pinch of envious jealousy here, as if I could afford to join the Alpha club I would. Now thats a thought why don't all the Alpha owners form a club of your own and the rest of us can join the, China bins are great club!
Hiya flossiepip, joining the "alpha club" is not an expensive business. You simply order a pair of Nikon EII, or, if you prefer to wait and shop around or back-order (and for a few bob more), a pair of Nikon SE. I've owned both, and they give up very little to, for example, the SV's (which I also own). I got a pair of EII's for about 280 euro (from the supplier in Hong Kong), which is cheaper than most of the currently excellent Chinese ED binos (which are also superb, and among which I'd recommend the Zen-Rays).
It's not a question of snobbery or envy, they're all just binoculars, tubes with glass in for seeing faraway stuff. No-one is trying to pull rank, we're all just mildly obsessive lunatics indulging a fairly harmless passion. A bit like birding.
BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Tuesday 28th June 2011, 00:24   #178
Kammerdiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossiepip View Post
I don't know. I read it too and there seems to be a fair amount of face slapping and back stabbing as well. Typical, really, for Birdforum.

Sancho has it right: there's no need to feel left out or envious. I could happily bird for years and years with an SE or a Zen. There's no shortage of good stuff out there these days.

Mark
Old Tuesday 28th June 2011, 00:27   #179
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepilot View Post
Here's my experience. I've been using Nikon SE and EDG almost exclusively in the last months. I only use the Leupold Goldring HD 8x32 when I go out with my wife and there is a prospect of rain, in which case she uses the Nikon EDG and I use the Leupold GR HD. Anyone who's looked the Leupold knows that they are no slouch. No CA, very sharp in the center, almost no astigmatism and almost flat to the edge. However, I've got so used to the flat field of the Nikons that the little more field curvature in the Leupold bothers me a lot. It feels like a big downgrade going from the Nikon EDG to the Leupold GR HD, although both are probably better than 95% of the binoculars I see other people are using in my neck of the woods.
That is exactly my point and what I am trying to say. Some people notice the little differences and it's hard to go backa.

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Tuesday 28th June 2011 at 02:45.
Old Tuesday 28th June 2011, 05:10   #180
lilcrazy2

Like a broken record that just keeps playing... and playing... and playing the same old song.

Makes me wonder who really doesn't believe in their position and needs constant reinforcement.

I give up - the SVs rule. I might have to get one just to get my hands on that broken record that surely is included in every box. Please don't make me read "it's hard to go backa" again or I just might go wacka.
Old Tuesday 28th June 2011, 05:32   #181
gwsudiro
x-frost, Mahar the Binohead

Talking

this is veeeery entertaining thread! I laugh often when I read this thread..

and Dennis, the way you post, comment, reply or react to another post just like an innocent child.. I like that! gyaaahahahahaa!!

only at BirdForum!
Old Tuesday 28th June 2011, 09:43   #182
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcrazy2 View Post
Like a broken record that just keeps playing... and playing... and playing the same old song.

Makes me wonder who really doesn't believe in their position and needs constant reinforcement.

I give up - the SVs rule. I might have to get one just to get my hands on that broken record that surely is included in every box. Please don't make me read "it's hard to go backa" again or I just might go wacka.
Funny! But I wasn't referring to the SV's again.
"It feels like a big downgrade going from the Nikon EDG to the Leupold GR HD, although both are probably better than 95% of the binoculars I see other people are using in my neck of the woods."
In this case the alpha is the Nikon EDG and the Leupold GR is the binocular that he doesn't want to go backa to. My post is not just about SV's although that is the alpha I own. It is about any alpha that you want to go backa to. Sorry you seem to be going a little wacka!

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Wednesday 29th June 2011 at 01:34.
Old Tuesday 28th June 2011, 09:47   #183
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsudiro View Post
this is veeeery entertaining thread! I laugh often when I read this thread..

and Dennis, the way you post, comment, reply or react to another post just like an innocent child.. I like that! gyaaahahahahaa!!

only at BirdForum!
I may seem innocent but my replies are backed up with ALOT of experience. I think we all know I have had ALOT of different binoculars to compare. Glad you are enjoying the thread. A little humor makes the thread more interesting to read instead of a bunch of dry optical terminology don't you think?

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Tuesday 28th June 2011 at 10:15.
Old Tuesday 28th June 2011, 10:58   #184
Robert Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by denco@comcast.n View Post
I may seem innocent but my replies are backed up with ALOT of experience. I think we all know I have had ALOT of different binoculars to compare. Glad you are enjoying the thread. A little humor makes the thread more interesting to read instead of a bunch of dry optical terminology don't you think?
Agreed Dennis and you have the grace to reply to all the relavent comments.
Thank you and long may you continue. When did you say the new Zeiss's are due?
Old Tuesday 28th June 2011, 11:05   #185
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wallace View Post
Agreed Dennis and you have the grace to reply to all the relavent comments.
Thank you and long may you continue. When did you say the new Zeiss's are due?
I expect about a year. I think it would be hard to improve signifigantly on the SV's though. Small incremental improvements would probably not be enough for me to trade because Swarovski customer service is so great. We will have to see though.
Old Tuesday 28th June 2011, 13:14   #186
gwsudiro
x-frost, Mahar the Binohead

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by denco@comcast.n View Post
of course!

be it backa or wacka....ol iz welll peace...

Last edited by gwsudiro : Tuesday 28th June 2011 at 13:47.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: