Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Sunday 2nd September 2012, 17:29   #51
gts55

Got my hands on a pair of 10x42's. No testing done bit appeared to be nice bins. Maybe a little fuzz on the edge, but not much. Very bright clear optics, biggest down side I found were the eye cups retracted with very little pressure during normal use, kind of distracting. An intersting point is they have assembled in USA on the bins, the brochure says assembled in USA with foreign components. This was a 2012 Elite ED model.
Old Saturday 6th October 2012, 19:44   #52
Talldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballcorson View Post
I have the 8x32 HGs as well and while the focusing is super smooth and the binocular is heavier and more solid, I prefer the 10x42 ED Bushnells. They are lighter and seem to have a very slightly more open and very slightly brighter and sharper view. Not major differences at all, however. The Nikon is older optical technology. While I buy and sell a lot of binoculars, these two are both keepers. The price of the EDs makes them a real steal. Keep the Nikons and buy the 10x (not the 8x) EDs. The 8x EDs have a much too narrow a field of view.
Well ... a narrower FOV on paper I suppose. I have been "playing with the Elite ED 8x42 for a few days and the FOV has not been a concern. They have a very flat field edge to edge which I suspect compensates for a lot. In short, the optical quality kind of blew me away in the store when I compared them to just about every other 8x42. I even compared them directly to a pair of Leica Ultravid HD's. The Leicas edged them out, but barely so. So yes, the FOV is less than average on paper but in real world viewing I was never once struck with the thought that, "hey, this FOV is too narrow". Not at all. This bino has to be the big "sleeper" buy out there, unless of course, one is overly hung up on spec sheets.
Old Tuesday 6th November 2012, 07:11   #53
lucznik
Inspector Gadget

I once had an "original" open-bridge Elite that I should never have sold.
Overstock.com has a very few of these new Elite EDs on sale right now for $449. Coupled with Bushnell's current ('till the end of the year) rebate program offering $75 and .the final cost will be just $374. So I've ordered a replacement. I just hope my wife doesn't kill me when she finds out...
Old Friday 9th November 2012, 05:17   #54
lucznik
Inspector Gadget

Binoculars arrived today and so far I'm really pleased. They'll get a thorough workout this weekend but, first impressions suggest they are even better than my old split-bridge model.
Old Saturday 13th April 2013, 23:28   #55
Willy54

Just spent a day with10x42 ED Elites

I spent the day decerning these 10x42 Bushnell Elite ED's to my Nikon 8x32 SE's. For the price ,these Bushnells are truly excellent or for that fact ,regardless of price they are excellent. They were as bright as my SE's and about as sharp.The only things I disliked were the focus wheel was stiff and HAD A WEE BIT OF play in it.
They would not replace my SE's because I have gotten use to there lightweight and compact design.I like the ergs of the SE because the wide stance of them make em easier for me to steady.I would love to try a pair of the 10x42 Nikon SE's and compare the Bushies to them.
To me, the strap was a tad too long causing the bino to swing when walking.
Old Sunday 14th April 2013, 07:02   #56
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
I once had an "original" open-bridge Elite that I should never have sold.
Overstock.com has a very few of these new Elite EDs on sale right now for $449. Coupled with Bushnell's current ('till the end of the year) rebate program offering $75 and .the final cost will be just $374. So I've ordered a replacement. I just hope my wife doesn't kill me when she finds out...
Have them delivered at your work. She will never know.
Old Sunday 14th April 2013, 07:03   #57
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy54 View Post
I spent the day decerning these 10x42 Bushnell Elite ED's to my Nikon 8x32 SE's. For the price ,these Bushnells are truly excellent or for that fact ,regardless of price they are excellent. They were as bright as my SE's and about as sharp.The only things I disliked were the focus wheel was stiff and HAD A WEE BIT OF play in it.
They would not replace my SE's because I have gotten use to there lightweight and compact design.I like the ergs of the SE because the wide stance of them make em easier for me to steady.I would love to try a pair of the 10x42 Nikon SE's and compare the Bushies to them.
To me, the strap was a tad too long causing the bino to swing when walking.
Cut it shorter.
Old Sunday 28th April 2013, 23:33   #58
lucznik
Inspector Gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by denco@comcast.n View Post
Cut it shorter.
You can't. It's design only allows so much adjustment (or cutting).

I agree that it is made too long. There are, of course, lots of alternative options available.
Old Sunday 23rd October 2016, 23:01   #59
Dan2nd

I purchased the Bushnell Elite ED 10x42 last week on eBay. Used, yet looks brand new. Have never held one before and have to agree that these are very impressive! I wear eye glasses and the relief is very good. The image quality is excellent and the edge sharpness appears to be farther out than what I expected from reviews of this model. It appears to begin around 10-15% from the edge or less. The build quality is excellent as well.

The FOV is 315ft which seems very narrow on paper yet with this 10x42 model its seem narrow at all.

I am not sure Bushnell plans to continue making this model yet its out there still and is worth considering if you are looking for 10x.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: