Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 25th August 2011, 17:17   #1
Hobbes2

Hawke Frontier EDs 10x

I'm looking into getting a pair of lightweight, "affordable" 10x binoculars. Ideally, I'd like a 10x36 binocular (to keep weight low but field of view as good as possible). I've read some positive reviews on the Hawke Frontier ED series. Is the ED version of the Frontier that much better than the phase corrected version, please? Sherwood optics have the ED (10x36) at 215 and the phase corrected (10x32) at 110 (http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/hawke...oculars_fs.htm).

Alternatively, are there better options that I should look into, please, for less than 250?

Many thanks
Hobbes
Old Thursday 25th August 2011, 17:28   #2
Veracocha

I have had every derivitive of the Frontier ED's and many more fom other manufacturers including Svaro. IMO these represent incredible value (especially at Sherwoods prices) and optical performance that matches the big boys. I can't see any better value anywhere in the UK. I bought a pair of 10 x 43 off Sherwoods two weeks ago, also look in their used section, having seen them I can honestly say they were mint condition.
Old Thursday 25th August 2011, 17:38   #3
Hobbes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veracocha View Post
I have had every derivitive of the Frontier ED's and many more fom other manufacturers including Svaro. IMO these represent incredible value (especially at Sherwoods prices) and optical performance that matches the big boys. I can't see any better value anywhere in the UK. I bought a pair of 10 x 43 off Sherwoods two weeks ago, also look in their used section, having seen them I can honestly say they were mint condition.
Great endorsement! Many thanks indeed. The other make I was looking at was Vortex (http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/vorte...oculars_fs.htm). Their "Fury" and "Crossfire" 10x32 models are 100-200g lighter (which is very tempting). The fullsize "Viper" (10x42) is tempting because even that is lighter than the Hawke Frontiers but it is a little pricier. Have you had any experience with these?
Thanks
Hobbes
Old Thursday 25th August 2011, 17:38   #4
typo

The Frontier ED is very popular. One I rather liked at a lower price point was the Helios Aero ED which can be found at about the 160 mark. It's rather more compact than the Hawke which, and has a slightly narrower field of view.

David
Old Thursday 25th August 2011, 17:56   #5
Hobbes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo View Post
The Frontier ED is very popular. One I rather liked at a lower price point was the Helios Aero ED which can be found at about the 160 mark. It's rather more compact than the Hawke which, and has a slightly narrower field of view.

David
Thanks, David. I've just read your review on the Helios Aero ED 8x42. It certainly sounds promising. I'd prefer a more compact binocular - I'm not very 'big and strong', lol.
Thanks
Hobbes
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: