Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 29th August 2011, 01:53   #1
crazyfingers

Hummingbirds playing in tropical storm force winds?

I had commented about this here but I thought I'd ask some hummingbird experts.

Hurricane Irene passed by today. Being on eastern Massachusetts the impact was tropical storm force winds only. They say 45-55 MPH with 65 MPH gusts.

I didn't see any of the regular birds about until late afternoon. But the hummingbirds were out all day and actually appeared to be playing in the wind.

I have never seen them out so much as I have today. Sighting frequency was easily 10x the norm. They were out almost every time I went out.

They were at the feeder by the garage but not just that. I frequently saw them other places and a pair was frequently flying this way and that, twisting around each other in the wind.

I can imagine that a hummingbird would be better able to instantly adjust for a changing gust but, do they have a reputation for actually appearing to like a good blow?
BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Monday 29th August 2011, 19:53   #2
merryslug

I have not heard that (I am no expert though) but find this fascinating - thanks for sharing!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: