Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 20th September 2011, 02:59   #1
dgibby

weird crow behavior?

I'm new here and to be honest not much of a bird watcher but I've noticed the crows in Connecticut doing something weird. They are placing dead squirrels on their backs on the side of the road. The squirrels do not appear to be road kills so I think the crows are killing them. The squirrels are flat on their backs with their front paws on their chest and their tails straight out. I have seen this on several occasions. Two or three crows tend to the body and I have seen another either in a nearby tree or on the side of the road(the lookout?). Has anyone seen or heard of this happening before? It appears that they do this so a car will run over the squirrel so they can eat it.
Old Tuesday 20th September 2011, 03:25   #2
fugl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibby View Post
I'm new here and to be honest not much of a bird watcher but I've noticed the crows in Connecticut doing something weird. They are placing dead squirrels on their backs on the side of the road. The squirrels do not appear to be road kills so I think the crows are killing them. The squirrels are flat on their backs with their front paws on their chest and their tails straight out. I have seen this on several occasions. Two or three crows tend to the body and I have seen another either in a nearby tree or on the side of the road(the lookout?). Has anyone seen or heard of this happening before? It appears that they do this so a car will run over the squirrel so they can eat it.
Fascinating observation. Japanese crows are famous for dropping nuts in traffic for cars to smash open for them, but until your post I'd never heard that American crows did anything of this sort.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins
BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: