Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 21st September 2011, 14:37   #1
aveschapines
Encantada de las avecitas que veo a diario.

Ruby-Throated Hummingbird migration

They have showed up here! I saw my first female on Thursday, Sept. 15, and the males showed up on Sunday, Sept. 18. I'm seeing both regularly now, and they are fighting with the Magnificents and White-Eareds over feeder rights!

Helen
Old Wednesday 21st September 2011, 19:21   #2
pauld45

Are you saying that you have had no birds this summer and they are just now showing back up? If so, how many do you have around during the winter?
Old Wednesday 21st September 2011, 20:15   #3
aveschapines
Encantada de las avecitas que veo a diario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld45 View Post
Are you saying that you have had no birds this summer and they are just now showing back up? If so, how many do you have around during the winter?
Ruby-Throateds don't normally winter here; I'm at too high an elevation for their preference (2300 meters, while they prefer 1500). They pass through on their way for lower elevations. Last year I had a lone female stay until late January. This is only my second year birdwatching (and I'm just coming up to a year of having a hummingbird feeder out) so I don't have observations from farther back. Local experts have told me that they winter at around 1500 meters and lower.

I have had plenty of White-Eared and Magnificent hummers all summer.

Helen
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: