• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1cy LBBG/HG, Finland (1 Viewer)

mäkpe

Hi!

I saw this 1cy LBBG/HG today 28th September in Pori, SW-Finland. The bird in question is the one on the left, others are, from left to right 1cy LBBG, 1cy HG and 3cy HG.
It has few features that i find odd for LBBG;
- quite short wings, shorter than in many HG's it was accompanying
- more renewed scaps than i've seen in any LBBG this time of year
- Herring-type markings in new scaps which i don't recognise seeing in LBBG before

In flight it looks like standard LBBG, so i guess it is one. But is the state of moult and pattern in new scaps unusual, or is it just my lack of experience again? Or is this very small and weak billed dark Herring female?

Attachments

• Larfus280911_1kv_Santakangas (2).jpg
    Larfus280911_1kv_Santakangas (2).jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 280
  • Larfus280911_1kv_Santakangas.jpg
    Larfus280911_1kv_Santakangas.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 295
  • Larfus280911_1kv_Santakangas (3).jpg
    Larfus280911_1kv_Santakangas (3).jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 267
very odd!
it got to be a baltic gull though. it has very dark inner primaries (no window at all), quite typical covert pattern, weak bill and the paler median and greater underwing coverts are also pretty typical for nominate fuscus.
but i haven't seen such an advanced baltic gull in early autumn either! let's check what ORG says about...it only shows 1-2 birds with a few mantle feathers replaced.
i hope you don't mind me linking this to gull-research-talk, probably this is of interest for many gullers and we might get to know if and how frequent such advanced birds occure..: http://www.talk.gull-research.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=598

thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Larfus280911_1kv_Santakangas(8).jpg
    Larfus280911_1kv_Santakangas(8).jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 97
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back