Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 22nd December 2011, 20:08   #1
Wildmoreway

Old non AF lenses on K200

Just wondering if an old Pentax non af 50 mm PK bayonet lens will actually stop down to whatever aparture I set the lens to when attached to a K200?

Thanks
Old Friday 23rd December 2011, 18:08   #2
StrikingSlug
As in "Speed of a Striking Slug"

I have done this with mine, and it does seem to work. I have an old 50mm F1.7 from my ancient ME Super, and it works well. I think you can also set it to auto, and then it will use what ever aperture you set manually, but you might want to check that as it is a while since I have tried it.

Good luck!

Richard
Old Saturday 24th December 2011, 18:20   #3
Wildmoreway

Thanks, I have done a few more and the lens does seem to be stopping down to where I have set it on the aparture ring.
Old Monday 6th February 2012, 10:01   #4
mayoayo

They work perfectly...For the non AF lenses,the "A" series lenses work in all modes..PK lenses have to be used in M mode with the famous "GREEN BUTTON" push to measure and stop down...
Old Wednesday 8th February 2012, 11:20   #5
gwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayoayo View Post
They work perfectly...For the non AF lenses,the "A" series lenses work in all modes..PK lenses have to be used in M mode with the famous "GREEN BUTTON" push to measure and stop down...
Which, for birding, has become my preferred way of working even with 'A' of 'F' lenses. Just love those old lenses
Old Wednesday 8th February 2012, 13:31   #6
kennethwfd

I'm a big fan of older MF lenses especially as one can get so much glass for so little money, try this sitehttp://forum.mflenses.com/ and here is a pic of a heron taken by one memberhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/manualf...in/photostream

the man who never made a mistake never made anything
Old Thursday 9th February 2012, 05:52   #7
Bird_Bill

Shot predominatly pentax since mid 70's.When switch to digital was made 6 years ago,having enough K,M,and A series glass made transition to pentax DSLR requesite.Pentax maintaining backward compatability means a lot to me,amazing statement of good faith on their part.Been some hiccups recently along corporate lines.With announcement of new bodies still having K mount and green button compatability,believe commitment to customer base reaffirmed.Love shooting old glass,insects come out shortly I'll slap on K200/2.5 with extension tubes, just get lost in the "itsy bitsy" stuff.Cant help but be more than interested in pentax return to "big glass class" and annoucement of DA 560mm F/5.6 super telephoto lens.

Last edited by Bird_Bill : Thursday 9th February 2012 at 05:59.

BF Supporter 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 18th February 2012, 09:44   #8
impotentspider

It's a a common misconception that old lenses wont stop down on modern DSLRs, but the stop down mechanism is still there, even modern lenses stop down via a mechanical linkage from the camera body when the shutter fires.
The so called "crippled" mount on modern bodies are missing a second mechanical link to the lens which used to register what aperture the lens was set to, this was done away with to reduce production costs and of course it was largely no longer needed as anything from a KA lens onwards would transfer aperture settings to the body electronically. Hence the reason that manual lenses need the camera to take a meter reading before exposure by manually stopping down the lens via the green button.

If you own or can get your hands on an older film body take a look inside the mount, on the left there is the stop down lever and on the top right is another lever which would penetrate into the lens and register the aperture setting.

Long live the K mount
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: