Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 4th January 2012, 09:16   #1
Richard Klim
-------------------------

Extremely rare birds in the WP

Hadn't noticed this before...

Last edited by Richard Klim : Wednesday 4th January 2012 at 09:44.
Old Wednesday 4th January 2012, 09:44   #2
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Klim View Post
Hadn't noticed this before...
Richard,
Is there a cited species list, or a sample list available?
MJB
Old Wednesday 4th January 2012, 09:55   #3
Richard Klim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Richard, Is there a cited species list, or a sample list available?
Mike, all I've seen are the details on the Lynx website.
Old Wednesday 4th January 2012, 10:36   #4
MarcelHaas

I'll post a species list tonight. Basically, it lists all species that have occurred in the WP ('sensu BWP') less than 10 times up to and including 2008. Records from 2009 and the first half of 2010 are mentioned as well, but not listed with details. Due to deadlines, I couldn't update it to include the second half of 2010 and 2011...

I am sure Lynx will publish sample pages when the book is ready to be printed (which is in its final stages now).
Old Wednesday 4th January 2012, 10:53   #5
Richard Klim

Thanks, Marcel. Should be a very interesting and useful book.
Old Wednesday 4th January 2012, 13:44   #6
MarcelHaas

Extremely rare birds in the WP - species list

Attached is the species list of the book. Only species currently in category A and/or B are featured in the book.

I tried to publish one photo for each actual record, if available, which means that many have never been published before (mostly photos of museum skins).

Indeed, it should be useful, although already out of date... But that's the thing with these types of books anyway. Nevertheless, the documentation still functions of course!

I'll let you know once I know the book is available.

(I'm already working on another book which lists all records of North American passerines in Europe...)
Old Wednesday 4th January 2012, 15:34   #7
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelHaas View Post
I'll post a species list tonight. Basically, it lists all species that have occurred in the WP ('sensu BWP') less than 10 times up to and including 2008. Records from 2009 and the first half of 2010 are mentioned as well, but not listed with details. Due to deadlines, I couldn't update it to include the second half of 2010 and 2011...

I am sure Lynx will publish sample pages when the book is ready to be printed (which is in its final stages now).
Marcel,
Thanks from me, too!
MJB
Old Wednesday 4th January 2012, 18:19   #8
Stephen Dunstan

Personally I think Ross's Goose probably is that rare, but plenty of people would disagree I would have thought.

Stephen
Old Thursday 5th January 2012, 06:35   #9
MarcelHaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Dunstan View Post
Personally I think Ross's Goose probably is that rare, but plenty of people would disagree I would have thought.

Stephen
Ross's Goose is included because I only list category A and/or B records. At the moment, Ross's Goose is only accepted on the Dutch list...
Old Thursday 5th January 2012, 11:39   #10
csanchez7

Fork-tailed Flycatcher in the western Palearctic? That is a shocking record, as is Swallow-tailed Kite.

The records for such short distance migrants as Ruby-crowned Kinglet and Red-breasted Nuthatch is also impressive.

Carlos
Old Thursday 5th January 2012, 15:08   #11
Microtus

What's up with this Swallow-tailed Kite record? I saw photo(s) in British Birds soon after a sighting in one of the Atlantic archipelagos in 1998, but the latest Collins edition (first USA printing) doesn't include the species at all.

Red-breasted Nuthatch is a medium-distance irruptive so I'm not surprised to learn that it has reached the WP.
Old Thursday 5th January 2012, 15:59   #12
MarcelHaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microtus View Post
What's up with this Swallow-tailed Kite record? I saw photo(s) in British Birds soon after a sighting in one of the Atlantic archipelagos in 1998, but the latest Collins edition (first USA printing) doesn't include the species at all.
See: http://birdingazores.com/?page=swallowtailed The March 2005 record on Flores has not been accepted.

The record you mention (actually in 1993) has not been accepted as a wild bird but accepted in the so-called category D (simply put: all records that might be genuine but treated with doubts 'at the moment').
Old Thursday 5th January 2012, 16:21   #13
Stephen Dunstan

Quote:
Ross's Goose is included because I only list category A and/or B records. At the moment, Ross's Goose is only accepted on the Dutch list...
Thanks Marcel. I had realised that. Good luck with the book.

Stephen
Old Thursday 5th January 2012, 16:42   #14
Microtus

Quote:
See: http://birdingazores.com/?page=swallowtailed The March 2005 record on Flores has not been accepted.

The record you mention (actually in 1993) has not been accepted as a wild bird but accepted in the so-called category D (simply put: all records that might be genuine but treated with doubts 'at the moment').
Thanks, Marcel. My British 1st edition Collins gives the year as 1998. Remarkable records, for that species and for the Fork-tailed Flycatcher.
Old Thursday 5th January 2012, 19:15   #15
Lukasz L

Quote:
And a one record of Poland is a category A (Dutch-Polish bird in autumn 2009/spring 2010)
All the best
Lukasz
Old Thursday 5th January 2012, 20:57   #16
MarcelHaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukasz L View Post
And a one record of Poland is a category A (Dutch-Polish bird in autumn 2009/spring 2010)
All the best
Lukasz
Cheers Lukasz! Unfortunately this record will not be in the book as it is published too recently ...
Old Wednesday 8th February 2012, 12:31   #17
MarcelHaas

I have just been informed that the book is at the Lynx office and ready for distribution.

Sample pages and contents are published on the website: http://www.lynxeds.com/producto/extr...ern-palearctic
Old Friday 10th February 2012, 19:25   #18
Lukasz L

It might be worthwhile complement to records from the years 2010 and 2011, published jointly in the article as an update to the book (in Dutch Birding?). Then we had the current status in January 2012, the day when the book came out.
All the best
Lukasz
Old Saturday 11th February 2012, 12:30   #19
MarcelHaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukasz L View Post
It might be worthwhile complement to records from the years 2010 and 2011, published jointly in the article as an update to the book (in Dutch Birding?). Then we had the current status in January 2012, the day when the book came out.
All the best
Lukasz
Good idea Lukasz! I'll look into it. I noticed that Ornithos very recently published an update to the 2008 French avifauna book by Dubois et al. Dutch Birding seems an obvious choice for me...
Old Saturday 25th February 2012, 09:54   #20
Richard Klim

Just received my copy.

Well done, Marcel. It's a very useful compilation indeed - no more lengthy and frustrating searches of multiple sources for details of historic records!

Acquiring all the images of these mega-rarities must have been a considerable task. The shots taken in the field are gripping of course, although sometimes of rather poor quality for obvious reasons. But equally fascinating are the numerous photographs of actual museum specimens.

An essential reference for anyone interested in WP rarities.

PS. For anyone with a few hours to spare – it would be interesting to collate the total number of extremely rare species and the total number of extremely rare records for each WP country...

Last edited by Richard Klim : Saturday 25th February 2012 at 10:42. Reason: PS.
Old Saturday 25th February 2012, 12:59   #21
MarcelHaas

Quote:
Good idea Lukasz! I'll look into it. I noticed that Ornithos very recently published an update to the 2008 French avifauna book by Dubois et al. Dutch Birding seems an obvious choice for me...
I can now confirm that indeed I will be publishing an update in Dutch Birding, to be published later this year.
Old Saturday 25th February 2012, 13:02   #22
MarcelHaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Klim View Post
Just received my copy.

Well done, Marcel. It's a very useful compilation indeed - no more lengthy and frustrating searches of multiple sources for details of historic records!

Acquiring all the images of these mega-rarities must have been a considerable task. The shots taken in the field are gripping of course, although sometimes of rather poor quality for obvious reasons. But equally fascinating are the numerous photographs of actual museum specimens.

An essential reference for anyone interested in WP rarities.

PS. For anyone with a few hours to spare – it would be interesting to collate the total number of extremely rare species and the total number of extremely rare records for each WP country...
Cheers Richard. Indeed acquiring those photos was a huge task... And I still didn't manage to get them all...
Old Monday 27th February 2012, 17:04   #23
Lukasz L

Quote:
I can now confirm that indeed I will be publishing an update in Dutch Birding, to be published later this year.
Hello Marcel,
Very good news! Add Polish Ross's Goose in 2010 (category A). In the report Polish RC for details and photos:
http://www.komisjafaunistyczna.pl/ob...-raport_KF.pdf
Both records relate to the same, individually identifiable individual, who in addition was the same bird that was in the autumn of 2009 a group of four birds in the Netherlands.
In addition, in 2010 were Poland, two further records, but both have been classified in category D (uncertain origin). Judging from the chronology observations, a record from the Mietkowski Reservoir can apply the same individual, who records was then accepted to Category A, although no conclusive evidence for this. The other two observations in category D relate to another individual of unknown origin.
More photos of all the individuals of Polish you can find here:
http://www.clanga.com/index.php/gall...e%BFyca+ma%B3a
All the best
Łukasz Ławicki
Old Thursday 24th May 2012, 12:43   #24
Richard Klim

Birdwatch

Reviewed by Dominic Mitchell: Birdwatch.
Old Thursday 24th May 2012, 12:55   #25
chris butterworth
aka The Person Named Above

Wasn't there a record of Wire-tailed Swallow from Egypt in the '90s? ( + just a quick gloat - I've seen some of them, in the WP ).

Chris

"Before the internet, this was all fields."
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: