Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 4th January 2012, 14:52   #1

Digiscoping with Swarovski 80HD

I will be using the DCA to mount my Cannon 7D. Can anyone enlighten me on proper focusing technique since auto focus is not an option. Particularly, is live view a practical solution? This is my wife's scope and I will have less stress if it doesn't take ages to get the pic. I need to get on and off in a hurry so she can get back to viewing.
Old Thursday 5th January 2012, 19:06   #2
Neil

I haven't used the 7D but if you are able to quickly zoom in with digital zoom to focus on the lcd then it should be ok. It's a bit more of a problem with moving subjects ( eg feedng waders or warblers ) or birds at long distance.
Neil.
Old Sunday 18th March 2012, 17:18   #3
Sandpiper
Mike Powell

I use a 7D with a Helios 58mm f/2 lens attached via a DCA on the same scope. My technique is to locate the subject and prefocus the scope, attach the camera leaving the lens focused on infinity, adjust the balance of the setup, activate Live View and, if need be, use the 5x magnifier to aid precise focus. In bright conditions I find a magnifying loupe an advantage. I recommend using a remote release to minimise camera shake.

Mike
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: