Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 7th January 2012, 21:02   #1
leighonigar

Inexpensive tripod suggestions for 6ft straight-scope user...

Hi there -

I need to get a new tripod, because I recently purchased my first scope (Nikon RA III 60mm, which I guess is about 1kg). My existing tripod extends to 147cm, but it's about 20cm too short. From this I take it I need something of about 167cm.

My budget isn't enormous, but I would like to spend enough to get a decent product, reasonably sturdy and long-lasting and ideally not horribly heavy. I know, rather a lot to ask!

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/trip...ty-tripod.html for instance is surely great for stability, but at 4kg it's too much to be carting around all day.

I've used a Slik Master tripod a fair bit and that seemed to be able to take a beating, I also liked the one-touch head. From this I'm considering the Velbon Sherpa 600R, seemingly available for about 70. Thoughts?

I've also seen people recommend the Slik sprint pro, which is endearingly light and cheap. Surely a bit too cheap though for the specs?

Any other suggestions (including 'get an angled scope') appreciated.

Oh, and it's me that's 6ft, not the scope...
Old Sunday 8th January 2012, 14:14   #2
John Russell
Registered Member

I saw a Chinese-made Camlink tripod at a local dealer recently. It was complete with video head, looked very solid and was very reasonably priced.

Could well have been this model:- http://www.camlink.eu.com/products/t.../TPPRO28C.html

Regards,

John
Old Sunday 8th January 2012, 21:54   #3
leighonigar

Thanks John, I have seen the camlinks advertised, but not in person. As ever I'm trading off weight with rigidity. I suspect that model might be a bit on the heavy side for me. I will weigh my current setup to better inform my judgement.
Old Monday 9th January 2012, 22:16   #4
johnf3f
johnf3f

Have a look at the Manfrotto 55 in it's various incarnations - good solid no nonsense kit. However I would STRONGLY recommend that you scour the used market, I picked up a very decent nick 3 series Gitzo Carbon Systematic with a center column. When I asked the price, I was asking about the center column only (as I already had a 3 series Systematic), I was told 100 quid for the lot! True this was the older model of the tripod but they still fetch top money - so well worth a look at used kit.
P.S. This used Gitzo G1329 Mk2 is far more stable (though heavier) than my brand new Gitzo GT2531 and quite a bit taller.

Last edited by johnf3f : Monday 9th January 2012 at 22:19. Reason: Addition
Old Monday 9th January 2012, 22:28   #5
dwatsonbirder
Norfolk exile

The Cullmann Nanomax tripods looks pretty decent, I think the two models are 50 and 70 respectively.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: