Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 12th January 2012, 12:17   #26
FrankD

Quote:
Originally Posted by black crow View Post
If that were true then why all the folk here buying multiple bins? And what is getting it done? Does that one bin fit all situations for all people? Are they going to work well for every person?

Myself I don't see any cheap bins being discussed here. Cheap to me is $12 bucks.
...and I have bought bins recently for $12...and sometimes less. Some are keepers and some go into the parts bin.

On a related note, I did have the opportunity to briefly try the Vortex Fury 6.5x32s last night. Stet and I got together for a bit and he handed me his Furys. I had two units of this binocular when they first debuted but that was back when there were diopter issues with this model. I am glad to see that has been fixed. Anyway, here is what struck me in the brief time I had to handle them (and under the conditions I was observing...night time...slightly rainy, etc...).

Sweet spot is definitely big. Very big. I would easily say 80% of the field of view. The apparent sharpness is also very good. I had no problem finding perfect focus despite the fact that the focusing speed is quite fast. That would probably be my only "issue" if I had to hunt for one.

I won't comment on apparent brightness, contrast or color representation as it was night and these characteristics were difficult to determine.

Based on my limited experience though I would definitely say that these are a great purchase for the price they are currently selling for.

One thing to note when reading these forums is to make sure and "filter" the reviews through the prism of knowledge that we are a bunch of OCD nutcases who hyperanalyze any minute differences in order to have stuff to talk about here.... Eitanaltman
Old Thursday 12th January 2012, 12:43   #27
black crow

That all sounds good. I think those Diamonds might have been duds and thus my harsh evaluation. And to be frank- Frank I only bought them because Shacho turned me on to the deal and I jumped not realizing the Fury's were also on sale. So I figured that out and bought them the next day having read what people said in comparison to the Diamondbacks. I figured if I liked both I'd pass one on to a friend so I didn't mind having bought both.

If I end up feeling the same as you evaluated them and the sightrons come close to the niceness you've stated I'll likely be done buying for some time if not for good.

Once I feel I have really good bins that cover a few viewing situations I'll be happy. I'm not going to be a optifile like others here because I don't have the skills or desire to gain them. I've lived my life as a Jack of all and I'm not about to change that now. Mission is mostly accomplished. Then you'll only likely see the occasional post from BC and I'll be on to gaining skills in bird id.
Old Thursday 12th January 2012, 15:53   #28
FrankD

Now hold on there a minute...once you get your binocular situation...situated then you need to start thinking of a spotter....and the eyepieces to go with it. This optiphile stuff never ends. You know that right?

One thing to note when reading these forums is to make sure and "filter" the reviews through the prism of knowledge that we are a bunch of OCD nutcases who hyperanalyze any minute differences in order to have stuff to talk about here.... Eitanaltman
Old Thursday 12th January 2012, 16:52   #29
black crow

I have a Maksutov Cassegrain 90mm spotting scope with eyepieces including zooms.

I also have a more portable Barska 80mm zoom spotting scope.

I'm pretty happy with them.
Old Thursday 12th January 2012, 17:24   #30
BrightIdea

Quote:
Originally Posted by black crow View Post
If that were true then why all the folk here buying multiple bins? And what is getting it done? Does that one bin fit all situations for all people? Are they going to work well for every person?

Myself I don't see any cheap bins being discussed here. Cheap to me is $12 bucks.
Semantics.
I am interpreting cheap as a slight on its quality, and inexpensive as merely being low priced. Regardless of how inexpensive it may be now or later, Fury-level glass (approx optical level of fury/old vipers/sightron BSII etc) imo is not cheap.

As to "getting it done", I recognize I am painting with a broad brush. I am one who very much appreciates having a variety of binos of various styles and sized for various situations. (reference my recent thread re selling it all for one alpha... it was tongue in cheek because for me, i WANT multiples).

I digress. The point is that bino variety is, for the most part, mostly a function of want and not need.

For 90%+ of all birding or hunting at typical distances under typical conditions, if you cant see or ID a brid with a 6.5 or 8x32Fury/viper/Sightron, its not going to be attributed to a flaw in the bin's.

Fury's aint cheap...they're on sale. Thats really all I'm getting at.
Old Thursday 12th January 2012, 18:06   #31
black crow

No, that's why I tried them. Or will try them when they show. I just figured at that cost there was little to lose. At worst I send them back like the Diamondback.
Old Thursday 12th January 2012, 18:11   #32
eitanaltman

Quote:
Fury's aint cheap...they're on sale. Thats really all I'm getting at.
agreed that's what I meant in the first place, you are the one who started the semantic digression.

all I was saying is that he is enjoying purchasing / trying / returning INEXPENSIVE (better? ;p) binoculars because it's a fun learning experience. No more no less... definitely not trying to slam the quality of the Fury (which I love!!).

BTW - my free Zen-Ray Vistas came yesterday and I definitely concur you got a dud (the Vistas are clones of the D'back). The Vista is clearly less bright and not as sharp as the Fury or ED3, and has a smaller sweet spot, but no way as dramatically bad as the experience you had with the D'back 7x36.
Old Thursday 12th January 2012, 18:23   #33
BrightIdea

Quote:
Originally Posted by eitanaltman View Post
agreed that's what I meant in the first place, you are the one who started the semantic digression.

all I was saying is that he is enjoying purchasing / trying / returning INEXPENSIVE (better? ;p) binoculars because it's a fun learning experience. No more no less... definitely not trying to slam the quality of the Fury (which I love!!).

BTW - my free Zen-Ray Vistas came yesterday and I definitely concur you got a dud (the Vistas are clones of the D'back). The Vista is clearly less bright and not as sharp as the Fury or ED3, and has a smaller sweet spot, but no way as dramatically bad as the experience you had with the D'back 7x36.
OK, we're better again. I'll call off the attack dogs! We all agree. Group hug!

;-)
Old Thursday 12th January 2012, 19:11   #34
flossiepip

Very surprised Vortex dropped the Fury. Got a pair and yes I say pair of Fury 8x32's early last year and now use little else.

Vortex needed to streamline their range but should of left the Fury. You get the feeling that Vortex mess with their binoculars to much. You just dont know where you are with them!
Old Thursday 12th January 2012, 19:45   #35
eitanaltman

it's pretty normal for products to cycle, I'm sure they had their reasons. Maybe it wasn't a good enough seller.... maybe it had a high production cost or they decided they were having too much trouble getting satisfactory quality control from their Chinese mfgr due to the funky diopter adjustment.... maybe they decided it was too close to the Viper optically and was kind of awkwardly placed in between the D'back and Viper lines... who knows?

anyway, I feel like a lucky beneficiary having gotten such quality for $129. Frank is right in that the sweet spot is HUGE on the 6.5x32 Fury, very impressive. And I love the ergonomics (except for that stupid pointy bit of rubber projecting forward near the objective lenses, who's idea was that??). For me it's a better fit than the chunkier Vista body (and D'back by extension), the eyecups are among the most comfortable I've ever used, and the focus knob is silky. The only real optical flaws that I can find are a slightly-warm color cast, a decent amount of pincushion, and mediocre control of lateral CA outside of the center axis... brightness, contrast, and sharpness in the sweet spot are simply incredible for 129 bucks, and definitely competitive with anything in the $300 category.
Old Thursday 12th January 2012, 20:05   #36
bh46118

It's like I said on here several days before the current revelation about the quality of the the 6.5X32 Fury. They are FANTASTIC ! They are also sold out.

Bruce
Old Thursday 12th January 2012, 20:22   #37
black crow

I thought only the alpha's were FANTASTIC?
Old Thursday 12th January 2012, 20:40   #38
Sancho

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
This optiphile stuff never ends. You know that right?

There is a precise mathematical formula for working out the ideal number of binoculars in your collection. It is

x = (a-b) + y

Where x = the ideal number of binos,
a = the number of binoculars already in your collection,
b = the number of binoculars you might sell (but probably won't),
and y = the binocular about which you've been reading reviews on the
internet this week.
BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Friday 13th January 2012, 02:25   #39
WiscTJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
There is a precise mathematical formula for working out the ideal number of binoculars in your collection. It is

x = (a-b) + y

internet this week.
Great post! Funny.

I think your formula is spot on. I read it to my wife and she agrees with you and she made sure to mention that for me b = 0 (they might get handed down or donated to our local nature conservancy). Also for me x is a hard number to get my mind around.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Todd
Old Friday 13th January 2012, 12:57   #40
FrankD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post

x = (a-b) + y

internet this week.
Gotta agree. That right there is funny!
Old Friday 13th January 2012, 18:27   #41
lilcrazy2

And here I am thinking that X was an infinite number!
Old Friday 13th January 2012, 18:43   #42
Surveyor
The more I understand, the more I understand why I do not understand more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcrazy2 View Post
And here I am thinking that X was an infinite number!
Hi Tom;

Actually there are two limiting factors to keep from reaching infinity.

Y is limited by research time and your reading/specification evaluation prowess.

X is limited by X <= CA/AUC (CA=credit available and AUC=avg. unit cost)

But, then, Sancho does not specify a time restraint.........

Last edited by Surveyor : Friday 13th January 2012 at 18:49.
Old Friday 13th January 2012, 19:20   #43
Sancho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
Hi Tom;

Actually there are two limiting factors to keep from reaching infinity.

Y is limited by research time and your reading/specification evaluation prowess.

X is limited by X <= CA/AUC (CA=credit available and AUC=avg. unit cost)

But, then, Sancho does not specify a time restraint.........
P.S. - I have discovered that when "y" = either a Kowa Highlander, or a binocular that doesn't exist, like a 7x30 wide-field ED roof, it's time to quit.

Last edited by Sancho : Saturday 14th January 2012 at 09:38.
BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Sunday 22nd January 2012, 00:30   #44
black crow

Above and beyond the call

Well for those of you who remember our discussion on the Diamondback we sort of came to the conclusion that I might have got a dud on that particular binocular. When I returned them to Eagle Optics I included a little note to tell them to check them out before putting them back in stock. To my surprise today I got a letter from them with a check to defray my costs of returning them. It's this kind of service that endears a company to oneself. Anytime I can do business with them you bet I will. Bravo EO.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: