• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Afghanistan (1 Viewer)

TippiHedren123

Hi to everyone!

I'm new on this forum and I joined first and foremost to ask if anyone has got an idea what bird species is shown in the attached picture. Does anyone know? The picture was taken a few days ago in Afghanistan. Unfortunately, I don't have any other pictures of those birds.
An answer would be very much appreciated!

Have a good day!

Attachments

• Afghan Birds.jpg
    Afghan Birds.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 256
Hi to everyone!

I'm new on this forum and I joined first and foremost to ask if anyone has got an idea what bird species is shown in the attached picture. Does anyone know? The picture was taken a few days ago in Afghanistan. Unfortunately, I don't have any other pictures of those birds.
An answer would be very much appreciated!

Have a good day!

Not a good photo ,can you add a description of the relative size and color . Does it look like other type of birds you know ? Special markings or song ?

Thanks for your replies! :)

@H K: I agree it is a poor picture. I would have liked to post a better one but I don't have any others. :/ Unfortunately, I can't say anything about the relative size, colour, special markings or song. I haven't seen those birds myself.

@Andrew Whitehouse: Thanks for your hint!

I have now been in Afghanistan for almost a month. This is my third trip here and the birdlife has been surprisingly scarse this time. It has been rather cold over the last few weeks and there has been a lot of rain in the last few days which might bring something in soon. Birds to date (in order of appearance):

Crested Lark
Tree Sparrow
Crowned Sandgrouse
Laughing Dove
Black-eared Kite
Common Myna
Common Starling
Masked Wagtail
(Nominate) White Wagtail
Saker
Hoopoe
Shikra
Caspian Gull

I have 98 on my Afghan list but at this rate will not add anything else. Here's hoping and bring on the migration when I will see more.

Last edited:
Migration has sort of started with half a dozen Hoopoes seen over the last few days. Highlight today was a stunning male Red-fronted Serin seen briefly passing through to the north. A lifer.

Hoopoe migration appears to be in full swing with several around the site. First Barn Swallow of the year with one over this lunchtime.

I have now been in Afghanistan for almost a month. This is my third trip here and the birdlife has been surprisingly scarse this time. It has been rather cold over the last few weeks and there has been a lot of rain in the last few days which might bring something in soon. Birds to date (in order of appearance):

Crested Lark
Tree Sparrow
Crowned Sandgrouse
Laughing Dove
Black-eared Kite
Common Myna
Common Starling
Masked Wagtail
(Nominate) White Wagtail
Saker
Hoopoe
Shikra
Caspian Gull

I have 98 on my Afghan list but at this rate will not add anything else. Here's hoping and bring on the migration when I will see more.

Incorrect info - 123 species on the list.

8 Turkestan Shrikes and a Pied Bushchat this morning. Desert Warbler and Rustic Bunting yesterday.

Last edited:
Presuming you're not wandering around the local meadows and valleys with bins, are sightings the species you are happening upon in the course of your duty?

Birding whilst at work I'm afraid. Not sure I'd want to go on a local Twitch!

8 Turkestan Shrikes and a Pied Bushchat this morning. Desert Warbler and Rustic Bunting yesterday.

Final tally of the day was 10 Turkestan Shrikes. Unlike their Great Grey Cousins they are very confiding and prefer the edges of busy roads; perhaps picking up insects moved on by vehicles. A lone Pipit overhead remainded unidentified. Hoopoes remain thankfully part of the landscape for the timebeing.

Last edited:
A stunning male Variable Wheatear, the first of the year, along with two more Turkestan Shrikes. Photos taken of both species. Crested Larks singing 'alles uber die platz'.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back