• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Cyprus Wheatear? Khartoum, Sudan (1 Viewer)

tomjenner

I photographed this bird today beside the Sunt Forest on the White Nile in Khartoum. I am pretty sure it is a Cyprus Wheatear, but I would like to get some confirmation as I am still trying to get my head around the identification of this species. My only books that show them as a separate species from Pied Wheatear are the Collins guide and the Porter and Aspinal Middle East guide, and there are some discrepancies between them.
One of the main things to sort out first is whether its a male or a female. If it is a female it is clearly a Cyprus, but what I am not sure about is how much dark a first year male Pied would have on its crown at this time of the year. Cyprus should have a shorter primary projection than Pied; this bird has quite a long primary projection, but then I don't have much to compare it with.
Little is currently known about the wintering grounds of Cyprus Wheatear, but it seems that Sudan might be the main area. I want to get my eye into this species so that I can keep accurate records.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Tom

Attachments

• Wheatear 1.jpg
    Wheatear 1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Wheatear 2.jpg
    Wheatear 2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 119
  • Wheatear 3.jpg
    Wheatear 3.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Cant offer much help Tom,Perhaps this link to a familiar site be of use.
Believe abstract mentioned illustrates number difference's, but some is with bird in hand,from collection.Good luck on sexing, personal interpretation of hypothesis suggest no outward dimorphic difference "should" exist for cyprus WE sexes,is what makes distinct taxa in large part.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=182030

Hi Tom

In my opinion this is a Pied Wheatear. There is no doubt this pair are tough in the autumn/winter, but on views such as this you would think you could ID them. Firstly this feels like a 1st winter bird to me (see comments below, on links), plus I think that the underparts are not 'burnt' enough for Cyprus, the crown not dark enough for Cyprus and the wing formula looks wrong, with p3 being the longest - on Cyprus it is p4 (see attached).

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZKIbHXeVTug/SxksV30IWiI/AAAAAAAAAIg/S0GNBaZyIBw/s1600/SK2B2626ps.jpg - 1st-autumn/-winter (maybe fm) - note the pale fringe to the greater coverts extends virtually to the base of the feather

http://www.breconbeaconsbirder.com/imgs/gallery/12797/12797_15554712684c55900a03e9f.jpg - autumn/winter adult - note the pale fringe on the greater coverts and the tertials leaving a solid dark base to these feather 'blocks'; also short primary projection

Brian S

Attachments

• Pied Wheatear annotated.jpg
    Pied Wheatear annotated.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 107
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back